TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Swivel feet tappets
flyfisher111 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:22 am

I am not sold on swivel feet tappets. It looks like a good idea. But wouldn't moving the pivot center off the valve top cause more of a side ways force? Wont the face of the swivel til rub across the face of the valve stem?

rockurob Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 am

AKA swivel feet adjusters(ball style)....have used without a problem,
one has to either shorten the push rods or use the rocker
shims as supplied in the kit.... I elected to shorten the
push rods.

Also have knowledge of one build with single HD springs
with about 61K miles on a set with out failure

The elephant feet style adjusters....I have no first hand
knowledge, but researched, and probably would not use.

I am sure there are others that will elaborate more on this

HRVW Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:44 pm

:idea: For what it's worth there is a difference between the ball and the elephant feet being used.

The ball can rotate if the adjustment is too loose and as a result pound the valve stem.

Elephant feet need a tighter adjustment then the commonly used . setting .006. Too loose can break the stem holding the foot in place.

I have seen a few incidents of the break and resulting damage to the valve stem.

Just one persons past experience here.

(VW mechanic retired)

rockurob Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:59 pm

HRVW wrote: :idea: For what it's worth there is a difference between the ball and the elephant feet being used.

The ball can rotate if the adjustment is too loose and as a result pound the valve stem.

Elephant feet need a tighter adjustment then the commonly used . setting .006. Too loose can break the stem holding the foot in place.

I have seen a few incidents of the break and resulting damage to the valve stem.

Just one persons past experience here.

(VW mechanic retired)

Good info above

Key words: proper/correct/adjustments/settings/tolerance
lack of the above = failure

Quokka42 Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:35 pm

I wouldn't change the lash - cheap adjusters will break anyway, why risk your valves and heads as well?

In answer to the OP's question, the swivel foot or swivel ball spreads the force across the end meaning less psi = less wear. Offset is not required for this type of adjuster but again spreading it across the face of the adjuster means it has less detrimental effect. The rockers with the adjuster at the pushrod are better of course, but must be used with lash caps, adding more clearance to be catered for.

stealth67vw Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

For what it's worth, Porsche 911s used the elephant feet style that we use on VWs. If you can afford the genuine 911 adjusters, use those.

rockurob Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm

stealth67vw wrote: For what it's worth, Porsche 911s used the elephant feet style that we use on VWs. If you can afford the genuine 911 adjusters, use those.

very quick online search....$25-$36 each and some what I found
may have been aftermarket?
OEM one would have go to Porsche
One OEM cost more than a whole set of Empt, Scat, Bugpack, etc

Proves again, one gets what they pay for, they hope ??

Quokka42 Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

So you're better off going to the better rockers then.

flyfisher111 Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a mild build goin I think I'll stay with the stock adjusters.

Quokka42 Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:06 pm

If you are going SS valves it is probably still a good idea to use lash caps.

modok Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:20 pm

flyfisher111 wrote: But wouldn't moving the pivot center off the valve top cause more of a side ways force?

If you adjust the rockers up the same amount that the swivel adds then the geometry is the same, that's why they come with shims.
The amount of force is a question of friction. IMO about the same or a bit less, but wear is reduced to near nothing since your surface area is 4x what it was with a nub adjuster.

mark tucker Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 am

if you adjust the lash so loose the ball rotates it's your effup, and if the ball rotates the lash will tighten up. be smarter than what your are working on. or have somebody that is do it for you.it's pretty simple stuff. no it dosent add any more side loading that the oe stuff....unless you effit up.it works, if it didnt than ford&mazda would not of used it for oh so many years with out problems. just use a name brand like cb,scat etc. no latest rage of the week...as that may be as long as it last.