TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blinker Questing
one4house Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:22 pm

I have a single grey wire that comes off terminal 6 (counting passenger to drivers) on goes somewhere ignition or blinker. Wiring diagram shows it into the steering column with a "p". Mine is not connected. I think it might be why my blinkers are not working. Can someone tell me where it goes?

ataraxia Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Did you check the wiring diagram?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_6870.jpg

Donnie strickland Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:34 pm

one4house wrote: Wiring diagram shows it into the steering column with a "p".

Isn't that the one for side markers? It's not used on US cars.

one4house Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:41 pm

ataraxia wrote: Did you check the wiring diagram?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_6870.jpg

Did you even read my question?

Tram Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Donnie strickland wrote: one4house wrote: Wiring diagram shows it into the steering column with a "p".

Isn't that the one for side markers? It's not used on US cars.

Yep, P terminal is for Park, meaning parklights. That's not why the OPs signals don't work. My scientific wild ass guess says that if the wiring's correct, the issue is likely in the 4 way switch. Turn the key on, select right or left signal, then slowly move the 4 way switch in, then out, and see if you hit the sweet spot where the signals light up.

one4house Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:46 pm

I am talking about the one pointed at in the wiring diagram. I have it coming off of the fuse block, cut and going nowhere. I have had this car without blinkers since the begining. I am hoping that this is the missing wire, but I have no idea where it connects in the sterring colum/ignition.

Tram Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 pm

one4house wrote: I am talking about the one pointed at in the wiring diagram. I have it coming off of the fuse block, cut and going nowhere. I have had this car without blinkers since the begining. I am hoping that this is the missing wire, but I have no idea where it connects in the sterring colum/ignition.

NO. The "P" is for parking lamps, or standing lamps. It's a European thing, and it has nothing to do with the signals. With the key off on Euro models, this feature lights up the left or the right side marker lights depending on where you put your directional switch. When you park on the street in Europe, you're supposed to light the lamps on the side of the car exposed to traffic at night.

one4house Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Tram wrote: one4house wrote: I am talking about the one pointed at in the wiring diagram. I have it coming off of the fuse block, cut and going nowhere. I have had this car without blinkers since the begining. I am hoping that this is the missing wire, but I have no idea where it connects in the sterring colum/ignition.

NO. The "P" is for parking lamps, or standing lamps. It's a European thing, and it has nothing to do with the signals. With the key off on Euro models, this feature lights up the left or the right side marker lights depending on where you put your directional switch. When you park on the street in Europe, you're supposed to light the lamps on the side of the car exposed to traffic at night.

Thanks tram. That answers that. I was wondering why it was not powered on the top side of the fuse block. Now I know.

The search continues.

Donnie strickland Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Tram wrote: My scientific wild ass guess says that if the wiring's correct, the issue is likely in the 4 way switch. Turn the key on, select right or left signal, then slowly move the 4 way switch in, then out, and see if you hit the sweet spot where the signals light up.

One4house, did you try this? I'm curious.

one4house Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 pm

[quote="Donnie strickland"] Tram wrote: Donnie strickland wrote: My scientific wild ass guess says that if the wiring's correct, the issue is likely in the 4 way switch. Turn the key on, select right or left signal, then slowly move the 4 way switch in, then out, and see if you hit the sweet spot where the signals light up.

One4house, did you try this? I'm curious.

If by "4 way switch" he means emergency flasher switch, then yes. I went and tried. No luck. I need to install a flasher switch that I know to be good. I do not know if the one in the car was good, or if my backup was even good.

VWporscheGT3 Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm

did you check to see if your blinker fluid res is full of blinker fluid lol

one4house Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:24 pm

VWporscheGT3 wrote: did you check to see if your blinker fluid res is full of blinker fluid lol

I did. Filled it with jagermeister myself. :-)

VWporscheGT3 Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 am

^ Good man!!!!