TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: a 1776 build
mfergel Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 am

My original vehicle plans were to rebuild the stock 1600 in the car I purchased. A spinning main bearing and a .40 over align bore put an end to that idea. I was able to source a used AS41 case locally for $100 (he threw in most of a 1300 as well.............future 1600??)

First move............take the case in to a local guy with his own little setup. Having it align bored, cut for the 90.5's and adding case savers.

First part of the order........a counter weighted crank and AA connecting rods. Also ordered the rod bearings and the cam end cap.

I'm still up in the air about the cam. Originally planned for the Engle W100, but I'm told that's really only good for up to 5000, which is fine, but if I have the counter weighted crank I was thinking I might as well take advantage of it and go with the W110 instead, which would give me a little more range.

Hoping to order the cam, cam bearings and crank bearings within the next few weeks.

rockurob Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 am

most will want to know your induction system planned
and heads with valve size before they can really give you
good constructive advise.

ALB Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am

I'm assuming you're going to use dual carbs, so; on a 1776 the W110 will work well with either stock or ported stock valve heads. You'll get 2-300 more rpm as well as a little more upper end hp with the ported heads. Bigger valves here aren't a big benefit and will hurt the lower end of the torque curve (and mileage) so I wouldn't bother. This will be fun in a beetle.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al

mfergel Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am

rockurob wrote: most will want to know your induction system planned
and heads with valve size before they can really give you
good constructive advise.

Yeah, not 100% certain yet. I guess some of that depends on if I'll need dual springs with the W110 cam. I was thinking I might go with these heads - http://chircoestore.com/big-valve-head-w-dual-spings-90-5-92-each-air-cooled-vw-engines.html. These are the dual spring versions - 40mm intake and 35.5mm exhaust valves. They also have a single valve spring version as well. Would it make sense for me to upgrade to ratio rocker arms, especially if I go with the W110 cam? If so, aren't the double springs pretty much a necessity as well as having to go with different push rods? Any recommendations for lifters with the W110? As for induction, I'm sure in the end it will be some type of dual carb setup but really not certain what. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, that's for sure.

mfergel Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am

ALB wrote: I'm assuming you're going to use dual carbs, so; on a 1776 the W110 will work well with either stock or ported stock valve heads. You'll get 2-300 more rpm as well as a little more upper end hp with the ported heads. Bigger valves here aren't a big benefit and will hurt the lower end of the torque curve (and mileage) so I wouldn't bother. This will be fun in a beetle.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al

OK. I've been told in the past I'd pretty much need bigger valves if I planned on running an aftermarket cam in order to really take advantage of it. Losing bottom end is one of my concerns and why I was originally looking at the W100. Not looking to create any kind of race car here but (aside from a gear change in the transmission at some point) I want something that's going to be able to hit 70 comfortably on the highway without taking a week to pass another vehicle if need be.

ALB Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Properly ported 35x32mm (stock) heads will support 120-125 hp and on a smaller motor keep intake tract speed up at lower rpm's to make the most torque (and get the best mileage). With the W110, dual carbs and 1 3/8" exhaust this engine will make about 90 or so hp, so bigger valves are not needed. I wouldn't put 40x35 heads on a 1776 unless the engine had aW125 cam in it, and then you'd be revving to 6500rpm with power.

vugbug68 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Budget 1776 in my car now,
Stock German crank and rods
CB 2241 cam, kinda between a engle 100 and 110
Stock aluminum pushrods and stock rockers
G03 heads with 40x35 valves and single HD springs
Dual kadrons (40 IDFs would be much better)
1-1/2 merged header
8:1 compression

Its real fun, probably about 100hp. I haven't really revved it past 4200 because its still breaking in, But it will definitely make power up to 5k.

MURZI Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:22 pm

The FK41 or Fk42 with 1.25 rockers(adjusters on PR side) makes a good driver combo too. Will rev to 6500 no problem..despite what the "duration numbers say" . Great bottom end torque and linear power.

fk41/fk42
1.25 rockers
8.7:1 compression
40x35 heads, dual springs, 50cc
40 IDF's

Danwvw Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Definitely run dual carbs! Then you have the choice of whatever cam you would like!
Even some used carbs like these would be great! DRLA. Or these: Not sure the 1835 heads would fit a 1776? An ad for Dellorto 36mm carbs and some Big Valve VW heads. These heads appear to be Brazil replacement heads, "racing heads"
040 101 375 2 1600cc they came with stock 35.5mmX32mm valves but someone has put big valves in them. Note! to run the big valve heads you need to consider aftermarket racing heater boxes or J-tubes.

mfergel Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:55 am

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the W110 over the W100 and stick with the stock heads ported out then as I want to maintain some low end torque. Most likely (for now) stick with stock rockers as well. Looking at other 1776 builds I'm thinking the following.....

Dual 40 IDF's
1.1 Rockers
Single HD Springs
26mm oil pump
Stock DP heads ported
009 Dist
1 1/2 exhaust (or should I limit myself to 1 3/8?)
Engle W110

I had also thought about going with a lightened flywheel but wondering, since I'll be losing some bottom end with the W110 if I should stick with the stock flywheel in order to help with takeoff.

Danwvw Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm

The 1 1/2 extractor will make a stock carb engine stumble and difficult to take off with but with the dual carbs and some cam I would think it would not be so noticeable. It will rev a little freer with the 1 1/2" extractor but have a little better low end and mid torque at less throttle with the 1 3/8". I went stock flywheel and 1 1/2" for my bus engine.

75smith Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm

mfergel wrote: Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the W110 over the W100 and stick with the stock heads ported out then as I want to maintain some low end torque. Most likely (for now) stick with stock rockers as well. Looking at other 1776 builds I'm thinking the following.....

Dual 40 IDF's
1.1 Rockers
Single HD Springs
26mm oil pump
Stock DP heads ported
009 Dist
1 1/2 exhaust (or should I limit myself to 1 3/8?)
Engle W110

I had also thought about going with a lightened flywheel but wondering, since I'll be losing some bottom end with the W110 if I should stick with the stock flywheel in order to help with takeoff.

1-3/8" exhaust and lightened flywheel(less weight to move with the "smaller" bottom end)

vugbug68 Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:11 pm

the flywheel depends on how you want it to behave, Heavy will give you more inertia and help when you come to a hill on the freeway, light will rev quicker and engine brake better when you downshift.

mfergel Tue May 27, 2014 10:50 am

It's been awhile but made some purchases for the VW at this weekends Bugfest 75. Finally picked up my cam, an Engle W110 as well as some double thrust bearings for it. I would have grabbed some main bearings as well but they didn't have the size I needed.

In addition to this stuff I also got a set of bolt on valve covers, rubber door seals and, one of the best deals of my day, a free back seat (top and bottom). I'll have to recover/etc. but I expected to have to do that anyway. The frames were in great shape.