TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Copper head gasekets for a Type 4
F1CHRIS Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 am

I am doing the top end on an old dune buggy motor to put into a street car. I picked up the heads from the machine shop yesterday. With the valve job, new guides, etc. they surfaced them, measured an old cylinder for fin clearance. The machinist told me that it was too little and to make sure and use the head gasket.
So, I thought that if I was going to HAVE to use a head gasket, that I might as well use a quality copper gasket. I have seen one available for T1 94mm, but will it fit a 2.0 T4 94mm ? Or does anyone make one for this application ? Also, I have the AA 96mm piston set (slip in), if that makes any difference.
Any ideas ?
Thanks !

Steve Arndt Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 am

Rocky Jennings has 96mm copper head gaskets for his wasser builds, they would probably work. FAT and European Motorworks also sell them T4 specific.

How much did the machine shop cut the heads?

F1CHRIS Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 am

Good question. I do not know....

F1CHRIS Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:55 am

Just got a set ordered from European Motorworks. Only had one size .040 for $ 40.00 I guess that will have to do....
Thanks !

nextgen Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Before you buy them go to the T-4 Forum, ask them, I read several posts where they said not to use head gaskets.

I may be wrong but there is about 400 guys there that know the answers and hey you may save $40.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

I was one of the first T-4 upright conversions, it is 2.0 but it was a 1.7 I had the heads opened for the 2.0 cylinders and used the 2.0 dished pistons. We measured the dishes and figured out what to flycut from the heads to give me the 8.5 to 1 I wanted. I was told not to use gaskets. The car has over 100k and it runs like new.

That was me, it don't hurt to get a second opinion - well 400 guys, ok a bit more then just another opinion.

typ4 Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:34 pm

You dont use the stock head gaskets. Copper ones are fine. I have used them quite a bit .
My DTM upright was the third one Joe Locicero built. Its still a fine piece.

nextgen Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 am

Typ4, thanks if Joe give you the advice, and obviously it worked, it is the way to go. I met Joe after I built my engine, he helped me write my manual.

I have one of his DTM's in my attic, but the damn T-4's never die, so it may be a while.

typ4 Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:20 pm

I was lucky to find he lived close to me, I helped him do some final temp testing and such.
I started doing bus engines before they were popular.LOL

udidwht Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Start by CC'ing the heads. Generally, no you do not use the head gaskets...or any head gasket.

nextgen Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:04 am

Well Udidwht That is what I heard and like I said my engine does not have any. I got that info back in 1989. I thought maybe some new gaskets were found and they worked better.

After having the heads opened and flycut I took valve grinding compound and rotated the cylinders into the headed till I saw a perfect fit., Like I said I have over 100k on mine and not problems. My compression is 8.5 to 1.

TYP4 on only thing Joe and I differed on was I used a thermostat and he agreed but to do it on the DTM was a major hassle. The DTM is the Ultimate for cooling.