TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Really BIG brakes! Porsche Cayenne Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Christopher Schimke Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 am

This is "little" project that I have been working on for a customer. I'll let him chime in if he wants to be identified, but suffice to say that the van that he is building will completely warrant the installation of such large brakes. The brackets aren't quite finished yet, but pretty close. Then they are off to be plated and ready for installation with custom hoses and parking brake cable.

Porsche Cayenne calipers (6 piston front, 4 piston rear), Cayenne parking brakes, Cayenne rotors (350mm front, 330mm rear), custom everything else.

insyncro Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 am

Nicely done.
P is for Porsche :!:

The use of MDF as a template is such a great idea.

Will the front directly fit a Syncro?

bluefirefly Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 am

SWEET!!!!!!!!

Crankey Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:21 pm

well. now I feel completely inadequate. :?

:lol:

insyncro Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Having a dedicated emergency brake system would quiet all of the offroaders whining about a firm hold.
The price of this setup would make them crap in their pants :lol:

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Beautiful work...as usual. Now I'm really wondering how I can swap over MB versions of the same kind of front/rear performance brakes. Something tells me that MB prices, while still not cheap, will be somewhat more reasonable for rear backing plates and brake shoes.

Birdcage Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:56 pm

F**k yeah,

I'm down for a set,

Crankey Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Quote: The price of this setup would make them crap in their pants :lol:

I wish I could afford the diapers.

Xtremjeepn Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Cool set up for sure! :D (and I've considered it for my Eurovan )

Cayenne calipers actually aren't that expensive. (Relatively of course :wink: ) The same caliper was used on the early (03-06) Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo, and the V8/V10 Touring-eggs :wink:

The most expensive thing in those pictures was (probably) the 18"(?) Fuch retro-replica wheel. (And the fab work :wink: )

Cayenne calipers are a very common swap onto some of the high performance Audis.

Fwiw, here is a stock size Cayenne turbo (350mm) front rotor up next to a 16" Eurovan wheel.

Bruce Wayne Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:12 pm

NICE!! what I want to know is,what is going around these,and why does it need these brakes? must have a lot of go if it needs this much slow.

furrylittleotter Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Beautiful upgrade. Really taking it to another level! Thanks for sharing your work!

Neil2

240Gordy Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Awesome work

Interesting seeing how i think they are similiar to the Touareg set up and the possibility of using Touraeg bearings in custom hubs.
Custom hubs being quite expensive though.

tam_shops Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Wow! Cool! If that's a little project, what's a big one? Are you done? The rain forecast kept me home from camping, cold I can live with, not rain!
Christopher Schimke wrote: This is "little" project that I have been working on for a customer. I'll let him chime in if he wants to be identified, but suffice to say that the van that he is building will completely warrant the installation of such large brakes. The brackets aren't quite finished yet, but pretty close. Then they are off to be plated and ready for installation with custom hoses and parking brake cable.

How do you know and can you tell that, this is an 18" Fuch wheel? I'd have thought it a Porsche wheel b/c of the centre cap and brakes! I want Porsche centre caps, always wanted a Porsche 911, but not a practical car! LOL And most probably outside of my budget! I also wouldn't want red brakes beside the yellow shocks already on my blue Vanagon. :wink:
Xtremjeepn wrote:
The most expensive thing in those pictures was (probably) the 18"(?) Fuch retro-replica wheel. (And the fab work :wink: )

tam

Xtremjeepn Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 pm

tam_shops wrote:

How do you know and can you tell that, this is an 18" Fuch wheel? I'd have thought it a Porsche wheel b/c of the centre cap and brakes!

tam

I'm guessing a bit.

Porsche made a "Fuch" wheel for its cars in the late 60s to early 80s. Came in 15" & 16" size. The wheel is very popular among Porsche/VW enthusiasts.

There is at least one company making a replica of the wheels in modern sizes and Porsche themselves introduced a modern version of the wheel that only came on a retro 911(997) model called the "Sport Classic" In a 19".

Any of the modern Fuch replicas or factory recreations are something like $4000 a set :shock:

Some other companies make a Fuch-like wheel in modern sizes. I've got a set of those on one of my cars.

The smallest wheel that should fit around a Cayenne Turbo front brake is an 18"[/img]

greenraVR6 Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Oh my :D

rubbachicken Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 pm

tam, there's a thread in another forum, pelican parts, some people set up and made 17", 18" and i think 19" fuch replicas, these look like them to me, very high quality wheels.
you could put 15" or 16" fuch wheels on your bus, you would need adapters.

tam_shops Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 pm

You own some, that's cheating! When I retire, I'm buying a Porsche 911, just like that! :) But, not one w/ $4,000 wheels. :shock: :roll: :shock: My first car 3 cars were less than that, combined, they'd just get stolen and then I'd be ticked off.
Xtremjeepn wrote:

Any of the modern Fuch replicas or factory recreations are something like $4000 a set :shock:

Some other companies make a Fuch-like wheel in modern sizes. I've got a set of those on one of my cars.

The smallest wheel that should fit around a Cayenne Turbo front brake is an 18"[/img]

Nope, Forged CLK320 from a 1998-2000 Mercedes, pretty, shiny and no parts for me to screw up if I ever have to find someone to help me change a tire. LOL Picked them, still trying to secure them. Plus, for $4,000 I could buy a new canvas (instead of installing a free second hand one, which I'm thrilled to have), new bumpers, new fridge and a Propex. I love shopping way too much to spend that much money on one thing and way too practical too. Oh, then there is that thing where I'm a teacher and can't afford it anyway! LOL And, the part that my dh is onto me. :-S
rubbachicken wrote: tam, there's a thread in another forum, pelican parts, some people set up and made 17", 18" and i think 19" fuch replicas, these look like them to me, very high quality wheels.
you could put 15" or 16" fuch wheels on your bus, you would need adapters.

But, these Brakes, that's a safety thing and you know how I am about safety things. You need safety things, want pretty things. 8) But, I'm going to want yellow or blue ones. Or, red shocks to go w/ the red brakes, I don't want a rainbow of colours down there. 8)
Christopher Schimke wrote:

Xtremjeepn Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:27 pm

You can buy those calipers stock in silver if you don't want the red. Just get he Touareg V8 or Cayenne S version. Same caliper, different paint!

The V6 models had smaller brakes, but would still be a nice upgrade on a Vanagon.

tam_shops wrote: You own some, that's cheating!

Well, no. I have some "Fuch-like" TSW "Montage" wheels on my 951 :wink: MUCH cheaper :wink: (mine were basically a beer trade :P )

...but I do have some Cayenne calipers :wink:

a914622 Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 am

It's got to be something in the water up here! I was just working on almost the same set up only using Mercedes 500 p-brake, rotors and caliper.

I like those 6 pot fronts! Kind makes my 4 pots look to small.

Nice work.
Jcl

dobryan Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:56 am

Can't ever have enough pot. :wink: