TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oxy/Acet rig...quick advise
DaVonZip Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:02 am

http://memphis.craigslist.org/tls/4376992546.html

i would have put this in paint forum..but i need quick advise and paint forum has low traffic ..

just hoping someone with knowledge in oxyg/acet rigs would know if this is a good deal...seems high to me but..

thanks,
Rick

[email protected] Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 am

That's a pretty good deal, the tanks probably cost that much.

Make sure the tanks a bought and not rented. Most people are really bad a math and rent the tanks for about half the cost annually of just buying them.

crukab Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:53 am

Seems a bit pricey, but I bought mine in 1985. Try calling Airgas & get a price to BUY the tanks, not lease, and check Sears or Tractor supply for prices on the gages/handles/hose.
I'd have no use for a 50' hose set, but I just use mine in the garage & around the property, and I bought the smaller "B" tanks that fit in a square milk crate.

Thesanz Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:56 am

When buying a torch set without bottles, you would have to buy a set or rent a set from your local gas company. So the bottles have some value (if the certification hasn't expired - $100?). Otherwise the torch set itself is (in my opinion) is only worth about $100-125 (without tanks). I would pass.

Bobnotch Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 am

DaVonZip wrote: http://memphis.craigslist.org/tls/4376992546.html

i would have put this in paint forum..but i need quick advise and paint forum has low traffic ..

just hoping someone with knowledge in oxyg/acet rigs would know if this is a good deal...seems high to me but..

thanks,
Rick

I'd have to say it's a little high. I didn't know Tractor supply re-filled oxy and acetylene tanks though. The torch set with regulators is probably worth 175 to 200 (depending on how old the hoses are), but the tanks I'm not sure about. I think I paid 125 for my oxy tank, and probably something similar for my acetylene tank (from the local welding supply) about 10 years ago. But both tanks were full, and I can exchange them (versus waiting on them getting filled). My acetylene tank is also a little bigger than the 1 in the pic.

It might be a good deal IF you're close by, and can look the tanks over (see IF they have a local welding supply logo on them). I'd also call Tractor Supply, and see IF they do refill Oxy/Acet tanks. Otherwise you're stuck with going to a local welding supply (a reason I stay away from Harbor Freight tanks too).

Check to see IF the torch is just a cutting torch, or if it has a removable head for doing gas welding, or brazing. Also see if he has the tips for gas welding IF it has the removable head. It does make a difference, as the tips are about 20 to 30 bucks each. I hope this helps.

Edit; I see these are actually TSC exchange tanks. That would make it a better deal IF your local TSC does the bottle exchange.

DaVonZip Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:09 am

really appreciate the replies guys...

Called Tractor supply...they said to purchase the 4' oxygen tank from them was 429. and the smaller acety tank was 240. The hose and regs etc..as some of you said was about 200. "Harris' is a decent name for regs etc. also i believe.
Tractor Sup also said they are their tanks and would have no problem swapping them out. So i am good there also.
I figure i am getting 840. dollars worth of equipment for 400. that is not bad. I am picking them up in a few.
Thanks again

Rick

YouBugMe58 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 am

DaVonZip wrote: really appreciate the replies guys...

Called Tractor supply...they said to purchase the 4' oxygen tank from them was 429. and the smaller acety tank was 240. The hose and regs etc..as some of you said was about 200. "Harris' is a decent name for regs etc. also i believe.
Tractor Sup also said they are their tanks and would have no problem swapping them out. So i am good there also.
I figure i am getting 840. dollars worth of equipment for 400. that is not bad. I am picking them up in a few.
Thanks again

Rick

If you havent purchased it yet, also check your local HVAC supply stores. The A/C techs also use portable sets and unless you plan on doing lots and lots these may be a better choice. I have both (MC and B sets). I am a semi retired HVAC tech. Good Luck.

joe56vw Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 am

YouBugMe58 wrote: DaVonZip wrote: really appreciate the replies guys...

Thanks again

Rick

If you havent purchased it yet, also check your local HVAC supply stores. The A/C techs also use portable sets and unless you plan on doing lots and lots these may be a better choice. I have both (MC and B sets). I am a semi retired HVAC tech. Good Luck.

Most HVAC supply stores will only sell these type of things to licensed techs and/or businesses