TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need some advice on what to do
Adam Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Hey guys I'm getting ready to start the body work on my Notchback and I'm not quite sure what to do about the surface rust and pitting. Right now I would like to just break it down and get the whole car in primer. Any advice on what I should use on it as far as grinding or what grid sand paper would be great.
Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about

Mike Fisher Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:53 am

Sand a section down with 80 grit flap discs. Treat the bare metal with Rust-Prep acid etc. Spray on rattle can primer for now. You can scuff it and spray epoxy primer & sealer before you paint it. You get to pick the primer color now! :twisted:

djway3474 Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:12 am

Best solution. Knock of the loose stuff with a DA, acid treat to remove the rust, media blast, epoxy prime.
Depending on your climate but metal acid treated can be raw for quite some time.

Adam Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. Any acid treatments better than others or will just whatever I can find at the store be ok?

beetlenut Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 am

Adam wrote: Thanks for the replies. Any acid treatments better than others or will just whatever I can find at the store be ok?

Phosphoric acid is what converts iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate, so any product like Ospho or a rust prep or metal wash will have that in it. It will convert the microscopic iron oxide particles, once you remove the big stuff, and encapsulate the surface so oxygen can't get to and react with the metal anymore.

Thrasher22 Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 am

djway3474 wrote: Best solution. Knock of the loose stuff with a DA, acid treat to remove the rust, media blast, epoxy prime.
Depending on your climate but metal acid treated can be raw for quite some time.

Why acid treat then blast? Seems like an extra (gross and toxic) step if you're going to be blasting the rust off anyways... If you want to preserve the metal after blasting, you should acid treat it after.
That's what I've been doing at least.

clarkster75 Fri May 30, 2014 11:32 pm

If you can, try and look for glass media. Its better than soda, or sand, and probably cheaper than plastic, or dry ice, or walnuts.
You can watch on you tube under "dustless blasting." or the website under the same.
Sanding will take a long time but if you're cool with that...no worries.
There are other companies that sell the equipment like Farrow and Geoblaster.
Don't have any tips on finding anyone in your area except maybe contacting a glass supplier somewhere, or Farrow/G.blast, and see if they sell to anyone where you are.
I know you are not on the ocean but some boat yards use glass blasting too.
Where I live the guy said he would come to my house for $500 for the whole car. I think that is what the you tube Impala video (price) was too.
Once the major stuff is gone you can use the rust neutralizer to keep it gone.
Hope this helped.

Bobnotch Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:48 am

I'd media blast and epoxy seal it.