TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: problems fitting front windshield... Page: 1, 2  Next
Mark Shutt Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 am

has anybody got any tips on fitting the front windshield? I'm about to give up and call Autoglass :( tried fitting from top and also bottom and fail every time! I'm using an original seal with trim and original glass too but it all goes a bit wrong at the corners and when I attempt to reposition the glass it pops out :(

Bobnotch Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:14 am

Mark Shutt wrote: has anybody got any tips on fitting the front windshield? I'm about to give up and call Autoglass :( tried fitting from top and also bottom and fail every time! I'm using an original seal with trim and original glass too but it all goes a bit wrong at the corners and when I attempt to reposition the glass it pops out :(

Use some 2 inch wide masking tape, to tape the trim to the seal, and plently of soapy water (heavy on the soap) on both the seal and the opening.
It's a 2 person job. One person pulls the rope (or wire (12 or even 14 guage)), while the outside person fiddles with seating the glass-seal combo in place. It helps if that person has a "glaziers stick" to help unroll the corners of the seal, as they like to roll under on installation. My helper uses the "glaziers stick" when doing the outside, while I use a "cotter pin extractor" tool to help seat the inner seal lip, while pulling the rope.
I usually seat the bottom first, check that I'm square in the opening, then work my way to the sides and up and over the top when we do one. The hardest seal I've ever installed was the rear window of my 65 Notch, and we did it 4 times before it finally took. :shock: It really didn't want to go in at all.For that one, we employed a 2nd helper, just to get it to go. :shock:
I hope this helps.

Mark Shutt Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 am

thanks Bob, I just sprayed a little silicone lubricant but not a lot! the VW notes I found on here said to start at bottom but I tried both ways and failed!

I borrowed a plastic tool from my daughter clay modelling set and it's ideal for lifting the the outer seal from under itself!

as for the trim, I just fitted ISP trim and have to say it went in very easy and has not budged, I was quite surprised :shock:

my biggest problem was my assistant (wife), she's now buggered off out :D

I will try the soap and see if that helps..

Mike Fisher Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:30 am

I find it's better/quicker to ask my neighbor for help rather than my wife or son! :twisted:

Der Speed Shack Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:36 am

It's also quite helpful to set the glass with seal installed out in the sun for 1/2 hour or so to warm the rubber compound a little, softens it up a little so install is a little easier.

Mark Shutt Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:48 am

thanks for the tips!

grandpa pete Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 pm

weed wacker line...not string :shock: :shock:

Tram Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:43 pm

grandpa pete wrote: weed wacker line...not string :shock: :shock:

Even better yet, insulated thin electrical wire wrapped twice around in the groove. Two passes are better than one, especially for tucking headliner material back in.

marklee Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:48 pm

use sash cord, get a nozzle from a silicon tube, ct the end so its the same size as the cord, use the nozzle to feed the cord into the rubber. Put a loop of cord on all 4 sides and lay the screen on the aperture, do not place the rubber over the lip at the bottom. get your helper to hold the glass in place and bit by bit pull on the cord alternating top bottom and sides small amounts at a time. Do not bang on the screen, gentle palm slaps will help ease it in, good luck

BTW pull the cord in along the glass ie vertically from the top and bottom and horizontally from the sides.This will help the prevent the cord tearing the seal

Mark Shutt Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:18 pm

we don't have weed wacker over here is it a nylon string? was thinking fishing line may work but what gauge?

Tram Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Mark Shutt wrote: we don't have weed wacker over here is it a nylon string? was thinking fishing line may work but what gauge?

Use insulated automotive electrical wire- it won't rip the rubber.

vlad01 Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Tram wrote: Mark Shutt wrote: we don't have weed wacker over here is it a nylon string? was thinking fishing line may work but what gauge?

Use insulated automotive electrical wire- it won't rip the rubber.

Thats what I use.

Mark Shutt Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 am

I just pulled the insulated cable out and bought some weed wacker equivalent :evil: don't you just love the internet and every ones different views on what's right and wrong!

marklee Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:17 am

I was a fitter for auto windscreens, it was found that sash cord was the best to use, strong, no stretch and lrge enough not to tear the gasket

Bobnotch Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 am

marklee wrote: I was a fitter for auto windscreens, it was found that sash cord was the best to use, strong, no stretch and lrge enough not to tear the gasket

Yup, that's what I use for "normal" type 3s, but I went with 12 guage wire when I did my T-34, as the glass is a lot bigger on those cars (my "sash" rope is t-3 sized). I suggested either in my first post, as that's what I use, and have been using for 20 years. I don't install glass for a living, but I do install a window or 2 every year, or every other year. :roll:

The big key though, is to NOT be in a hurry, and take your time.

Mark Shutt Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 am

well I've failed again today.. I'm convinced the seal I have will never see a car again! I spoke to the guy I bought the car off and he said that they tried with the same seal and gave up and fitted the Cal Look seal!

I re-fitted the Cal Look seal/window on my own in about 5 minutes with no lube!

so I'm on the hunt for a decent quality OEM "style" seal, no idea where to start but Karmann Connection over here can order them in @£45

Tram Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Mark Shutt wrote: I just pulled the insulated cable out and bought some weed wacker equivalent :evil: don't you just love the internet and every ones different views on what's right and wrong!

Well, all I can say is I've been doing a few windows a year on restorations for decades now with the electrical wire- just got done with a front/ rear on a 1968 Mercedes 280SE Coupe.

Mark Shutt Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 pm

after some advice from my wife I swapped back from weed wacker to cable but my problem was the bottom corners.. I think my seal is just too old and hard to be able to manipulate round the corners! I'm going to try and find the best quality seal I can and start over. I put the Cal Look back in as I need the car road worthy for it's yearly test that's due in the next 2 weeks so no hurry for now.

Tram Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Mark Shutt wrote: after some advice from my wife I swapped back from weed wacker to cable but my problem was the bottom corners.. I think my seal is just too old and hard to be able to manipulate round the corners! I'm going to try and find the best quality seal I can and start over. I put the Cal Look back in as I need the car road worthy for it's yearly test that's due in the next 2 weeks so no hurry for now.

Yes, I've run into this issue with NOS stuff before. There is a point that the rubber stiffens up enough to not cooperate. Even if you do get this seal in, it's just a matter of time till it starts leaking if it's that inflexible.

squaretobehip Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Mark Shutt wrote: after some advice from my wife I swapped back from weed wacker to cable but my problem was the bottom corners.. I think my seal is just too old and hard to be able to manipulate round the corners! I'm going to try and find the best quality seal I can and start over. I put the Cal Look back in as I need the car road worthy for it's yearly test that's due in the next 2 weeks so no hurry for now.

You should try it with two other helpers; one on each side of the car with one hand on the upper corner, and the other hand on the lower corner. From the inside, you should be able to center it yourself.