TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Power steering hoses Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
jimimeg Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:08 pm

1987 Westfalia

Hi,
been doing a lot of research about power steering hoses before posting. BusDepot seems to have the best replacement option. Are they still around?

Frank seems to have a moderately expensive set, but I found this on e-bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDELMANN-Power-Steering-Pr...mp;vxp=mtr

Does anyone know if they fit?

Thanks
Jimi

djkeev Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:24 pm

jimimeg wrote: 1987 Westfalia

Hi,
been doing a lot of research about power steering hoses before posting. BusDepot seems to have the best replacement option. Are they still around?

Thanks
Jimi

Hmmmmmm....... Your "research" comes under serious suspicion when you obviously didn't simply Google Bus Depot.................
https://www.busdepot.com

Your ebay link ....... It isn't to anything. [-X

Dave

jimimeg Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 pm

My research was me finding everything I needed and then placing an order. I couldn't get in touch by phone and panicked. Unfortunately, they are out of the hoses until summer!

This is the link i tried to post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141205115954?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks again
Jimi

Phishman068 Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Frank condelli has them for sale.

boulderdrop Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I got mine from Frank Condelli. They fit perfectly in my 84-westy (retro fitted with P/S). However, I did need to hit a local-hose-pressure-company in order to source the fittings to the P/S rack and the supply-line for my Bostig setup.

1vw4x4 Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:57 am

jimimeg wrote: 1987 Westfalia

Hi,

Thanks
Jimi

All these kits have problems of some kind.... I made up a kit that solves them all.. and... I think I can make this up for about $150 plus shipping
Its good quality US made hose... Shout me a Pmail is interested..
[email protected]

Jeff's Old Volks Home Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 am

There available at www.jeffsoldvolkshome.com
(shameless plug intended), and I can be reached by phone...
Jeff

Phishman068 Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:43 am

Just curious, what is this flaw in all of them?
I have a brand new set sitting on the shelf and don't see anything but quality, and though I've only ever installed one set, they were spectacular.

1vw4x4 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am

Phishman068 wrote: Just curious, what is this flaw in all of them?
I have a brand new set sitting on the shelf and don't see anything but quality, and though I've only ever installed one set, they were spectacular.

It depends on who's kit you purchased. I looked at everyone out there,
and they all had issues. One kit " may" have been good but WAY over priced.

My biggest concerns are when people do really stupid things like using
high pressure hose for the return line. This means they really have
no idea what they are doing. Yes it does made a different, and is
a problem. These are things that are telling you
you are dealing with a back yard mechanic! There are several other
issues that (like I said) would depend on what kit you have.

Phishman068 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:49 am

Why is using over rated stuff bad other than the cost?
Some people (everyone who buys them...) are okay with that additional cost.

I have a frank condelli kit on the shelf, what do you know to be wrong with it?
How about a bus depot kit?
I am curious and sure the producers of these kits as well as the consumers are also interested in what makes them wrong.

These type of discussions are what's needed to improve the products available to us and the community as a whole.

WestiCoast Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 am

I would be curious as well. I have been contemplating a power steering retrofit and a smaller steering wheel on my 85.

Busdepot Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Disparaging other vendors' products with vague and unsubstantiated claims in order to sell your own is not an ethical way of doing business. Our kit is imported directly from Germany and of the finest quality. We have never had a single complaint, ever. (Incidentally, I have some sets on their way from the German supplier via DHL, so we'll have them back in stock soon.)

J Charlton Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Al of the vendors have quality product - at least all mentioned on this thread. Order from them OR take your old hoses, with the ends, into a local hydraulic hose shop - the guys who make a living replacing the hydraulic hoses that keep heavy equipment working (we have Acklands Grainger) - anyway, walk in with the hoses in your hand and say, "I need new hoses" hand over your old ones and about 15 min later you'll get a new set with your old ends on them - right hose, right fittings right length and certainly no more than from any other source.

insyncro Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Not only do I use high pressure hose for a return line, I replace all hose clamp connections with hard fittings.

Just call me Mr. Stupid 8)

1vw4x4 Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Alright.... I'm not going to go into the engineering of it all but here are the issues:
Noise! Noise can be deadly to a hydraulic systems. Where I use to work we wrecked a lot on machine because of hydraulic noise. VW had noise issues that's why they put all those rubber piece along the metal tubing.
This was to prevent noise, and vibrations in the hydraulic.
Those heavy small high pressure hoses transmit more noise then ever. This is because the ID is to small. Pressure restrictions from smaller hose is another big issue. All the high pressure hose I found, had a smaller ID than the factory tubing. Make it the correct size and you can't get one of the fittings thru the syncro frame, and the cost goes thru the roof. My system is completely quiet, just as I engineered it. The I.D. for both feed and return lines are just slightly larger than factory. NO restrictions in any fitting, and it fits thru the Syncro frame

And I'll supply them all day long at $150..+ shipping.

Your right.. GREAt quality products but terrible products for the job.

If you want something done right you have to do it yourself!

Phishman068 wrote: Why is using over rated stuff bad other than the cost?
Some people (everyone who buys them...) are okay with that additional cost.

I have a frank condelli kit on the shelf, what do you know to be wrong with it?
How about a bus depot kit?
I am curious and sure the producers of these kits as well as the consumers are also interested in what makes them wrong.

These type of discussions are what's needed to improve the products available to us and the community as a whole.

goffoz Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 pm

1vw4x4 wrote: Alright.... I'm not going to go into the engineering of it all but here are the issues:
Noise! Noise can be deadly to a hydraulic systems. Where I use to work we wrecked a lot on machine because of hydraulic noise. VW had noise issues that's why they put all those rubber piece along the metal tubing.

I'd like to know more about this..I spent a Sh!tload of$$ on a 1.8t conversion and the pump howls like a "tortured cat"...all the F@%king!! time:shock:
The vender seems uninterested in in improving the product..since day one!
I'd like to know What/how to go, before I tear this junk out and fix it.
basically I know nothing ...except that My set up is so WRONG.

Just FYI its a 2005passat pump grafted (not quietly) to vanagon hard lines, with some sort of after market hose.
pics if you need them
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1374676

Terry Kay Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 pm

I don't know if any of you guys have taken a real good look at that high pressure hose.
It's got a restrictor built into the hard line --

None of the kits I've seen have them in it.
And the vendor's who you got that kit from will tell you right up front that they aren't required.

Do yourself a favor, and stop in at any Parker dealer , and they'll explain what that gizmo is for--and why your PS system is banging under the van without it.

This is exactly why most of the kits are all hose--so you don't / can't hear anything banging.
This is the simple answer-- most ( not all ) of the vendor's are selling zero hard line kits--plus to manufacture all of them funky bends in them lines is work--easier to cut some hose, and slap some banjo fittings on the ends.

insyncro Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:06 am

Where the restrictor is placed in line has a huge part to do with the noise in the system.

Terry Kay Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:48 am

Correctamundo Dylan---

Without going outside and freezing my gonads off just to get an exact measurement, and off the top of my head that anti thumping valve is about a foot ( give or take a hair ) off of the pump--on the way to the front of the Van.

In the back of my mind I do recall an issue brought up about this pressure hose banging phenomina awhile back--( eons ago) when fearless Frankie was first manufacturing his kit over on the Vanagon.com list.

It was mentioned that the hose does thump, and his retort regarding the pressure restriction valve was the soft lines won't make as much noise as hard lines would--no problem.

And in another feeble moment I took a set of original rusted up lines over to my buddies Parker shop, and I asked him about the valve in the high pressure lines in a weak moment when I was considering offering them in exact dupicate hard lines.

He told me that it's was installed exactly where it is to lessen the pressure thumping off of the pump, in the high pressure tubing, and to duplicate this would / might be a problem.

I came to my senses--and forgot about it.

insyncro Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:01 am

Right on TK.
I too have played around with making hardlines and adapting a more streamlined approach for various conversions.
There are a few restrictor/baffle/filter combos available aftermarket.
Anyone worried about cost should just stick with the stock hoses and replace the hardlines with available kits.

There is a thread somewhere with the VW baffle exposed from cutting open the high pressure hose.
It may be on the Subaru Vanagon forum as noisey systems are frequent when adapting different pumps to the VW PS in a van.