TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bought a new fuel tank - now what?
Cannonball Cottage Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 am

I just ordered a new fuel tank (and all the other associated goodies) from Bus Depot. My question is -now what? Other than the obvious - drop engine etc etc etc - does a new fuel tank require any prep before installation?

I've read all about cleaning used/rusty tanks, and re-coating the inside, but couldn't find anything about new tanks. Do they require coating? SHOULD they be coated?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Randy in Maine Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:42 am

Wow I have not seen a new one available in forever.

What does Ron at Bus Depot say to do?

Bala Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 am

Don't coat it with anything.
What year bus? If you have a T4 you don't HAVE to drop the engine.

Cannonball Cottage Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 am

Randy - new tanks available once again, and Uhhhhh - didn't think to ask Bus Depot when I ordered it - thought I would consult the experts here.

Bala - its a 1976, same year, same color as yours! Only difference is that my spare lives inside the cabinets behind the driver.

Bala Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 am

Oh, nice! I looked at your gallery and now remember (drooling over) your bus!

I would definitely try the tank engine in first.

poptop tom Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 am

If you don't plan on leaving the bus sit with fuel in for long periods of time, you shouldn't have to treat it.
I would drop the engine. It will make the task easier, and you'll now be able to reach all of the hard to reach fuel and vapor lines that you will be replacing!

DaleNW Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am

If you aren't replacing the sending unit, you may want to slightly bend the contact part of the unit on the old one such that it makes a good electrical connection and will give you a good signal.
Of course, check all your plastic vapor lines for cracks and such.
Good luck!

brainwash Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 am

I am getting a new tank as well and thought to seal it with POR-15 before installing it. No need to? Might it seal up any pinholes or prevent same in future?

raygreenwood Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:37 am

brainwash wrote: I am getting a new tank as well and thought to seal it with POR-15 before installing it. No need to? Might it seal up any pinholes or prevent same in future?

DO NOT DO THIS! POR-15 is an awesome product.....but far too many are having adhesion problems with it....because they are not, understanding what the active ingredients are and how it works.
In gensral....it is an, epoxy....but its more than that. Its primer contains phosphoric acid whic h is designed to create an adhesion friendly surface by converting rust to iron phosphate....which in itself...will never rust again .....if you can seal it off from moisture and oxygen.
POR-15 requires rust for best adhesion. Do not use it on a new/clean surface. Ray

westy66 Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:58 pm

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

I got a Tank this summer. Surface rusty but really dry. I took It to my local Gas Tank Renu place. Having the tank boiled at a radiator shop was 150 with no coating or guarantee that it wouldn't happen again in 2 years. This was 225 with a 'lifetime' warranty. I'm interested to see how it holds up with our fuel. I've personally seen por15'd tanks that have failed. Worth a shot.

brainwash Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks, Ray!

DO NOT DO THIS! POR-15 is an awesome product.....but far too many are having adhesion problems with it....because they are not, understanding what the active ingredients are and how it works.
In gensral....it is an, epoxy....but its more than that. Its primer contains phosphoric acid whic h is designed to create an adhesion friendly surface by converting rust to iron phosphate....which in itself...will never rust again .....if you can seal it off from moisture and oxygen.
POR-15 requires rust for best adhesion. Do not use it on a new/clean surface. Ray[/quote]

khalimadeath Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 pm

raygreenwood wrote: brainwash wrote: I am getting a new tank as well and thought to seal it with POR-15 before installing it. No need to? Might it seal up any pinholes or prevent same in future?

POR-15 requires rust for best adhesion. Do not use it on a new/clean surface. Ray

What he said. I just took out my old tank and acid washed it. Allowed it to obtain a surface rust again and then I applied the por-15. I am having no issues with adhesion.