TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: MSD setup
superpro56 Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 am

I bought a 2180 that was complete up to the rods. I put a MSD distributor in it and verified TDC with valve covers off and made sure it matched my TDC marking on my pulley. Now, I see that the #1 plug points in the 1 o'clock position rather than the normal 4-5 o'clock position when looking down at the distributor. Did I put something together wrong here? I have not had a chance to fire the motor, but wanted to make sure it wasnt something simple beforehand.

Dale M. Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am

Quite possibly the distributor drive gear was installed wrong.... If everything is correct (#1 really is TDC of compression stroke), you can simply start with firing order with #1 where ever rotor is pointing or remove and re-install dist drive gear so it points rotor to traditional location (less confusion in future) ......

If you are sure #1 TDC of compression stroke this is where distributor drive should be (I believe)...

Dale

superpro56 Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Other than being different from "standard", would running the motor in this configuration cause any issues?

I will double check that I do indeed have #1 at TDC of the compression stroke, but I took my time on it when initially assembling. Wont hurt anything to check though.

Bashr52 Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 am

Figure out where your rotor is pointing at the #1 TDC postion, and rotate the distributor body until it lines up with the plug wire outlert in the cap. Then just install your wires in the correct firing order. Does not matter how they are oriented, as long as the firing order is correct to the TDC postion. Just remember they way it is for next time :lol: