TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Loose Wiper Arms and can't get them to stay screwed on HELP
User Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I've done some research and haven't found an answer'

I have after marker wiper arms that are listed as correct.

Newly rebuilt wipe shafts with WW complete kit.

I have tried to tighten them down but the screw will not hold fast to the round shaft. Any thoughts?

I am guessing there is a simple solution here I'm not seeing.

pantone149 Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:14 pm

File down the shaft so it's no longer round?

glutamodo Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 pm

What style of wiper arm are they? What year is the car? Got a photo?

Some of the aftermarket arms are pretty crappy in quality. For the 64/older, I'll always prefer the revised versions that VW sold in the early 70s in response to the wiper-bashing by Ralph Nader. They changed from a set screw to a pinch clamp, along with a much stronger spring.

User Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 am

G MODO... As always thanks for your input.

I did not even know about that style. I have the inexpensive set screw version... Here

I will look for this version you have shown. Just confirming They do make this for a 1966?

Eric&Barb Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:08 am

Take the set screw out. Get a hex headed bolt in there instead. Tighten with wrench and run for a few minutes, then retighten. Should only take about 6 Ft. Lbs. just like the engine sump studs.

You can not get enough torque with a screw and all too easy to slip and scratch your paint....

glutamodo Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks for the picture. Okay, I see you have a 66 and that's the later style and from the pohto, I think I see part of the problem... Across from the set screw, yours is smooth. Original ones were not like that, they had sort of a square shaped groove which gave two right-angle edges to help grip the wiper shaft, as seen in these examples:

That new wiper arm of yours, that just looks sketchy to me. If I was stuck with trying to make it work, I'm not sure what I'd do - I might try to create that groove that the stock arms have, with a Dremel tool and a file, or maybe try to find something to wedge in there to give it more grip.

The wipers I showed above, they were only for the pre-65s as far as I know.

-Andy

Harleyelf Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:31 am

Use a longer screw, one with a Allan-wrench-style head. Get a grinder and put a point on the screw before installing it.

Do not file the shaft or you will lose whatever anti-rust plating it may have.

glutamodo Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:53 am

You might consider just not using those wiper arms at all and getting some German ones. Looking in the Classifieds just now and I see plenty of them. They might need a coat of metallic silver spray paint.

Oh, to my surprise, and I found a 65-67 version with the improved clamp style base like the 64/older style I showed above!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1562648

Here's the search link I used to browse wipers in the Classifieds.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

shortride Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:49 am

I just finished correcting the same issue I had on my '66 Sedan. I drilled the threaded hole out on the driver-side wiper arm and re-taped it to a 6mm Allen screw that holds it in place very well.