TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone's campmobile? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
66uno Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm

went to an estate sale in Maryland and they auctioned off a 1963 Campmobile for a lot of money but, just the same, a ridiculously low price. I don't want to divulge the price in case it is someone's on here. But we may see it again at a larger auction because someone could likely make a fortune off of it. had original paint, the large poptop and 36,800 miles. Had both original roof racks and the side tent in good but not perfect condition. The bad was that it had Mustang seats installed but the good was that it had the original seats in the garage.

Also had all documentation since new. Father bought it and passed it on to his sons.

My friend bid on it, all the money he could get his hands on. I never even considered it, because he wanted it and because half of the paint is off of my bus right now and I have no place to put another one.

Is it anyone here's new baby? They said it was headed to Texas and I will be in Texas next month. :o

UZI Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm

from the estate sales internet listing:

"The all original 1963 Volkswagen Type KOMBI Campervan will have an asking price of $26,200. However, if you do not wish to pay our asking price you may put the most you are willing to pay in a sealed envelope with your name and phone number. If nobody has paid our asking price on Sunday by noon we will open all the sealed envelopes and call the highest bidder. We aslo have a great deal of original items that are included with this campervan. Inside are patches on the left and the right side of the places this Volkswagen went.

If you can’t see the gallery please click here: http://estateescape.com/

All original 1963 Volkswagen Type KOMBI Campervan 1200 Transporter (Bought in England new in 1963) Has 36,983 original miles. Garage kept! One owner!! Starts up every time and runs great!! Has original England tag. See last picture for detail."

i called on thursday and spoke to the woman who was running the sale. i was thinking if it was $26K, i'd run down there and buy it, just like everyone else. she told me that they had offers beyond the asking price and to submit my best offer via email. they would look at all the offers and take the best one on SUNDAY, i was thinking $32,500. a buddy of mine ran over there mid morning on friday. all the doors to it were locked, all the parts were inside of it and he was told it was SOLD. $40K.

i wouldn't have paid that much but she said the best offer would be accepted sunday. the bus had been hit in the rear corner, resprayed once and had a inch of undercoating on it. if i was the buyer in TX, i'd be pissed. the mileage and their description doesn't tell the whole story. still, it's a fairly special bus with a great history. it's an early '64 BTW so it has icepick door handles and a fat hatch.

i posted more pics in the gallery.

so who else here knew about it?

66uno Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Did not know about the corner being hit. Judging by the shape of the original front seats, I'm not sure the low mileage was correct either. I did not look at the records because I wasn't buying it and both me and my friend were pretty damned sure by bid time that he had little chance. But, I thought it looked real sweet in person and with very little effort would look spectacular.

Bought a roof rack off you a few years back. My friend has it now. Wish I hadn't traded it, but that's they way it goes.

UZI Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:17 pm

the lady i spoke with told me the bus came with all sorts of documentation. it should be easy to find out. she also told me the owner served in WW2 and died when he was 46. if he was 18 in 1945 when the war ended, on the long side he died in 1973. the bus could have been driven 136,000 in 9 years but really unlikely back then. if he was say 25 when the war ended that means he died in '67 and 36,000 is entirely possible if he spent 3 years traveling in it.

hitest Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 pm

^^^ that's exactly the kind of backstory logic I enjoy reading UZI- well done!

The fallacies flying around here (and everywhere) about a car's claimed provenance are sometimes enough to make a guy sick.

P.S.- Every time someone drills an 1/8" hole for that riveted side molding, Baby Jesus cries.

UZI Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:16 am

here is the underside. i think someone got excited and overpaid.

these seats look like they are from a later bus. maybe the family owned a blue and white 66? if they are from that bus they have much more wear than a 36K bus.

BarryL Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 am

UZI wrote: ...on the long side he died in 1973. the bus could have been driven 136,000 in 9 years but really unlikely back then.

10-12k/year was not at all uncommon. Allstate Insurance would never go below 10k as a baseline.

Schwing Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:26 am

I knew about this bus but I know my funds go to my family and my existing rust bucket.. Gibbs next time your 20min from my house you gotta visit! Anyway I thought 26k was fair but any more than that who knows. Gibbs I say call it a blessing some chap saw 40k in it. I'm sure in 5-10 years that kind of money will make sense for an early westy with a respray but for now that's too much.

I still really like it especially because SWR campers don't seem to grow on trees. Plus all the history of where it's been is neat.

M183kombi Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am

SWR? I think it looks to be Ruby Red...

UZI Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:02 pm

M183kombi wrote: SWR? I think it looks to be Ruby Red...

it is ruby red. and it's not a westy. it's an OTW. i think canterbury pitt.

66uno Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:05 pm

On the inside of the bus, there were travel stickers that went the full length on both sides. If he toured Europe before bringing it stateside and then travelled here as well, 136,000 would make sense. I think she said he died in 72 or 73.

I managed to pick up a few vw parts for one dollar apiece. So, it was worth the few hours for me. I live about 15 minutes away.

Schwing Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:15 pm

M183kombi wrote: SWR? I think it looks to be Ruby Red...

Oh sorry you are correct. I had assumed Ruby Red was only a Type 1 color, I see what you mean. I guess SWR is a bit lighter in tone. I'm still new to Type 2s. 8)

M183kombi Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 pm

I think it's possible it's a 36k mile bus...the door panels and kicks look to be in great shape...I'd want documentation though on that aspect of the bus if I am going to be paying a premium because of it...

UZI Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm

one easy way to find out if the mileage is original is the motor number, there aren't many VW motors that have gone 136K.

most of the campers i used to see were low miles. it seemed that they were used for a single purpose: camping. there is one in philly that has less than 50K on it. this one wouldn't surprise me either way.

philandkay Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 pm

:D b

type47fan1 Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:20 pm

:popcorn: :popcorn: Wow you got what you wanted out of the sale and feel the need to join this forum then blast someone for giving some insight?
He also even said
Quote:
one easy way to find out if the mileage is original is the motor number, there aren't many VW motors that have gone 136K.

most of the campers i used to see were low miles. it seemed that they were used for a single purpose: camping. there is one in philly that has less than 50K on it. this one wouldn't surprise me either way.

UZI Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 pm

kayleen, we are trying to figure out if the mileage is right. that's all. this bus is a goopy mess underneath. it's missing the heater tube, that rusted off after a half assed attempt at a repair. some of the frame elements look flattened or decayed. it's typical of buses. we know what to look for.

you said it was "original". it's not, it was painted. you said it's a 63. it's not. trust us. we know.

you told me that the bids were open until sunday. you changed those rules. so my response? tell you it's worth $100K. fair enough right? i was willing to go to $32K until my buddy called me and told me the bus was repainted and a mess underneath. i'm not a sore loser. i didn't even place a bid. why? i knew better. i had someone look at the bus before i layed my money out. i wouldn't be surpised if the guy from TX drives home with an empty trailer and asks you to pay his gas money.

what kinda bus paints a bus with 36K on it and is 6 years old (or less)? a bus that's been hit. my buddy looked at the bus and could see it. i can see it in the pictures. there is a wave in the drivers side rear corner. not a big deal. it looks fine. you missed it. you're not a car expert. it's cool.

it looked like a fantastic sale. too bad about the weather. i'm sure everyone did well. you, the buyers, and most importantly the family who deserves the money. i think if you had waited til sunday like you said, you could have gotten more.

did the guy from texas pick it up?

philandkay Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:50 pm

:D

Stocknazi Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:55 pm

philandkay wrote: Seriously, to the man who posted a bunch of false information on this camper (the sore loser who did not win the bid) should really just be a man about it and take his loss.
I am the lady who ran the estate sale. I am the one who spoke to EVERYONE who was bombarding me with the asking price offer within 2 hours of the listing.
I worked out the fair thing to do and that was allow EVERYONE a chance to put in their highest offer...and they did.
An accident in the rear? Who are you trying to fool? And I do believe you are the man who kept insisting this was a 1964 or newer vehicle. Is it so hard to believe that someone was in WWII and died at age 46 in 1970. I have told no lies about the vehicle, its history nor any of the stories. And yet you were out there with everyone else talking about how this VW was worth over 100K.
If you want it...then perhaps the winner will sell it for more sometime down the road.
For now, stop spreading false information about something you know nothing about. That bus is NOT a 63
Gibbs is an honest guy and is not spreading false information about the bus; he is describing the bus as he sees it.
I hope you already cashed the check; I can't believe someone paid 40K for a OTW fat hatch camper

GLHTurbo Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:59 pm

So obvious the driver's side corner has been repainted.

Why not run a carfax philandkay? That should tell us! :lol: