TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My project is home and ready to get worked on.
TMI Products Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Here is my roller 66 fastback i picked up for what i think was a great price.It was recently painted a meduim graphite grey, has new suspension bushings,shocks,rotors,brake lines,fuel lines,gas tank,dash pad, s&p carpet and a few other odds and ends.It needs some pieces for the pop outs,rubber for the lights, and of course the engine/clutch.I started cutting the paint and doing some minor clean up.Next is drilling the drums/rotors, and taking it to work to start on the interior.

Yabbadubbadoo Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:18 am

Looks like the previous owner did all the grubby jobs. You definitely can't complain about that! Left you the fun stuff to do. Nice car but I'm a little biased cause I've got a 66 fasty too. I dare say you'll be driving yours well before mine hits the bitumen.

Bobnotch Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 am

Looks good. I have to agree that the PO did most of the grunt work for you. Looks like it has a mix of TMI interior and OE stuff.

Are you going to use new TMI seat covers on it? If so, you'll find that the cardboard strip for the rear seat back (at the top) is too narrow. I know, as I've done 4 already, and they've all been a PIA to install because of the narrow width (OE is a 6mm wider). :shock: And it doesn't matter IF it's a Notch or Fastback, as they both use the same cover, and both have the same problem. :x This is the same complaint I've had for over 20 years (when I did my 1st seat cover job), and would have thought it would have been corrected by now. :roll:

P.S. It's kind of unusual to see a non-folding armrest rear seat in a Fastback.

Erik G Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:48 am

the correct '66 fronts you say you make but I've still never seen would be great too 8)

car looks great, congrats. agreed on the rear seat with the armrest, shouldnt be hard to find at all. Need a flat 4 (or real empi) wheel to go with that shifter :D

TMI Products Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:09 am

Bobnotch wrote: Looks good. I have to agree that the PO did most of the grunt work for you. Looks like it has a mix of TMI interior and OE stuff.

Are you going to use new TMI seat covers on it? If so, you'll find that the cardboard strip for the rear seat back (at the top) is too narrow. I know, as I've done 4 already, and they've all been a PIA to install because of the narrow width (OE is a 6mm wider). :shock: And it doesn't matter IF it's a Notch or Fastback, as they both use the same cover, and both have the same problem. :x This is the same complaint I've had for over 20 years (when I did my 1st seat cover job), and would have thought it would have been corrected by now. :roll:

P.S. It's kind of unusual to see a non-folding armrest rear seat in a Fastback. I would like the armrest back seat because that way I can put the sub box in the back with the port going through.

As far as the front seats they will be replaced with our Pro series seat for show purposes.

But I can check fitment of the covers and see if we can change that.

VWporscheGT3 Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:09 am

Nice "project" .. sheesh I would rock that baby like it is!

TMI Products Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:10 am

Erik G wrote: the correct '66 fronts you say you make but I've still never seen would be great too 8)

car looks great, congrats. agreed on the rear seat with the armrest, shouldnt be hard to find at all. Need a flat 4 (or real empi) wheel to go with that shifter :D ive never liked a wood wheel, but I thinkg it would look pretty cool in there, cant do the wood knobs though. that's a bit too much. :D

TMI Products Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 am

what would you say the car is worth as it sits? no rust in the pans either.

Erik G Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:22 am

TMI Products wrote: Erik G wrote: the correct '66 fronts you say you make but I've still never seen would be great too 8)

car looks great, congrats. agreed on the rear seat with the armrest, shouldnt be hard to find at all. Need a flat 4 (or real empi) wheel to go with that shifter :D ive never liked a wood wheel, but I thinkg it would look pretty cool in there, cant do the wood knobs though. that's a bit too much. :D

agreed, wood knobs are tacky to me. The feel of the flat 4 repop empi wheel is really nice. It's not as nice as the originals but the originals are hard to find in nice shape. To me, they are perfect in a type 3 and make driving more enjoyable

value is tough. No motor right?

TMI Products Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 am

Erik G wrote: TMI Products wrote: Erik G wrote: the correct '66 fronts you say you make but I've still never seen would be great too 8)

agreed, wood knobs are tacky to me. The feel of the flat 4 repop empi wheel is really nice. It's not as nice as the originals but the originals are hard to find in nice shape. To me, they are perfect in a type 3 and make driving more enjoyable

value is tough. No motor right? correct, no engine, trans is in with new suspension,poly mounts etc.

TMI Products Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 pm

I have these wheels in the garage.Might go with these or something in a 7" width and 215 tire instead of a 225/35/19 on 8"wheels

Clatter Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:50 am

8" wheels are tough to fit in the rear.
They are almost one size too big, if that makes any sense...

Oh, those do look good, though, that's for sure.

TMI Products Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 am

Clatter wrote: 8" wheels are tough to fit in the rear.
They are almost one size too big, if that makes any sense...

Oh, those do look good, though, that's for sure. I agree, a 7" would be a lot better, but with a little camber, it might be fine. Im still going to look for the same style of wheel but narrower in a 17' or 18" and sell these to offset the cost.. Im gonna check the fronts today to make sure.