TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gauge questions
dpetteng Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:44 am

So one thing I haven't finished it wiring the gauges. I was confused about what connects to each terminal. I know the bulbs are for indicator warning lights, charging light, oil light, side light and full beam light but not sure about the connectors at the top and from the wiring plan I have to connect something to the positive?

Bobnotch Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 am

dpetteng wrote: So one thing I haven't finished it wiring the gauges. I was confused about what connects to each terminal. I know the bulbs are for indicator warning lights, charging light, oil light, side light and full beam light but not sure about the connectors at the top and from the wiring plan I have to connect something to the positive?

Look at the wiring diagram for your car here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt3.php

And then try and match up the colors. Of the 3 brass lugs sticking out, 2 are for the fuel gauge, and the last one centers up the black bakelite connector. There will be a black wire from the fuse box to run the warning lights, that normally sticks out of the bakelite piece, make sure that gets plugged in at the fuse box, or you won't get the gen light to go off.

KTPhil Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am

Do you have the bakelite bulb/connector assembly that plugs into it?

dpetteng Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Nope, that could be my problem. Does anyone have a pic?

KTPhil Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:35 pm

dpetteng wrote: Nope, that could be my problem. Does anyone have a pic?

This ad has a pic of the whole assembly (gauge and connector) but you can at least see the back side of the connector assembly you are looking for.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1103281

Mike Fisher Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:08 pm

How about a 12 volt gauge that even has the colored pigtail wires still attached to it shipped to the UK for 1/2 that price? I'm having trouble uploading a picture of it now! I might have to get my IT son, who works for Symantec to help me with the Upload. :evil:

Suesanctuary Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:52 pm

dpetteng wrote: Nope, that could be my problem. Does anyone have a pic?

Hubby says you need that piece. Whether you aquire it locally, or from across the pond, it doesn't matter. You need it. Even look at the "home land" market for 1. You need it to wire the dash controls.

dpetteng Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:47 pm

got it, makes sense!!

I will have a look through my old crap incase I missed it, if not I will be in touch Mike! Thanks for the advice

ataraxia Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:24 am

I've got a few of those bakelite pieces if you need one...$25 + shipping.

I can include the bulbs as well.

PM me if you want one.

Clatter Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 am

dpetteng wrote:

Oh, My... Shield your eyes, kids...
The crust along the top of that gauge is abhorrent!

Somebody get this man a soda blaster, quick!
Maybe we should rush him into the local platers immediately!!!

:lol: :lol:

dpetteng Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:31 am

don't panic, it will be polished before it goes in my car LOL