TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Odd Engine Smoke Issue
hollywooddippa Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:59 am

I noticed my engine was smoking sometimes but not all the time and at different speeds and gears. It's definitely oil, cause it smells like burning oil. I've been trying different things to duplicate the issue. I finally was able to constantly duplicate it today.

When I'm on a hill nose up, it doesn't smoke at all. When I'm on the same hill nose down it smokes like crazy.

My oil level is right on the line. I may pull 1/2 of a quart out and try the same thing and see if that does anything.

Any ideas on if this could be seeping through the valve seals or the piston rings? Anybody ever notice this before?

my59 Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 am

First thing I would look at would be the valve covers- see if there is oil leaking out. If a cover is a little bent (rocks on the head with the bail released) that might present an issue.
The gaskets also can shift or get 'sucked in' when putting the covers on. Some glue them to the valve cover to prevent this- I use a thin smear of grease on the gasket to stick it to the cover.
I've got one side that never leaks, and the other the valve cover has to be on 'just so' or it leaks- that cover is a little tweaked.

itskyle Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am

If you had an oil bath air cleaner. Have you checked the oil level in it?

Kyle

hollywooddippa Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:30 am

I have dual 40 solexes.

73sports Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Did you check the plugs? That can pinpoint if it's just one cylinder, or all. I have a motor that smoked, but not always, ran great. Figured out it was #4 that was burning the oil. I pulled the head and cylinder and found the wrist pin clip was not in place on one side, and the clip/pin was riding on the cylinder wall. I replaced the cylinder and it's been good since.