TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: body not straight...?
Agentwright Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:34 am

So i still need to take some measurements but I noticed my 65 notch back is not sitting evenly. The rear passenger wheel is sticking out further than the rear drivers side. Its got an irs subframe. I am not sure what to do about it. Do I just need to nudge the body over? Or does something need to be adjusted on the rear suspension?
Edit.. I measured. The drivers rear is mosly lined up with the fender lip and the passengers sticks out just under half an inch.
I put some wheel ramps at the base of yhe tire then measured the gap at the fender lip. Drivers side was very close almost touching. The passenger side was almost a half inch off.
Divers side

Passenger side

BSQUARE Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 am

First, check the wheel offset.
It may simply have a Bug wheel on the further sticking out side.

Agentwright Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:17 am

They are matching riviera wheels... more pictures with out ramps

Clatter Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:23 am

My first thing to check would be how far each fender is away from the inside.
pull a wheel, and measure distance from some fixed point underneath on both sides.

The chances of a fender being a bit off are pretty good by the time the bodywork is all done and all.

Maybe you will luck out, and can just grab the wheel arch (lip) and give a tug...?

Agentwright Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 am

Here are the wheels I am running. They came with the car. Riviera 5.5, 4 lug i measured the offset.

flyinglow94 Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 pm

I have never had or seen a type 3 that the rear wheels were not further over on the passenger side. I have not seen them all but I think it is a flaw in the design. Also the aftermarket Rivieras do not fit properly , the Rivieras from a 914 have the proper offset meaning they tuck under the car on all 4 corners. You will have some issues with the front as well if it is lowered.

vlad01 Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:26 am

I have noticed that too, but I though it was just that fender were pushed in a little? who knows?

Bobnotch Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:38 am

Are all of the body bolts in place? There's 9 down each side, 2 up front on the pan (each side), 1 more from the beam to body (total of 2), 3 across the back arch per side, plus 1 under the gray plastic cap on each side. Add in 1 more on each side above the rear shock towers for the rear subframe to body mount. That's 34 bolts total that need to be in place between the body, pan, front and rear subframes.

Check to see IF they're all there, since this car just recently came from the body shop (for paint). Also, check that all of the rear subframe bolts are in place. There's the 2 I mentioned above that bolt thru the body at the shock towers, 2 under the rear seat that bolt the subframe to the pan, and another up front under the plate (that has 4 smaller bolts). If the subframe bolts are loose or missing, that might explain why it's shifted over. Same applies to the body bolts I mentioned above, as they might not all be there, or be tight.
Here's a pic of all the bolt locations.

Agentwright Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 am

Bob, serriously thank you for being so thorough and helpful in your posts. l crawled under there this morning and there is maybe only one or two bolts holding the body to the subframe. I have the square washers but no nuts or pointy bolts to put it all together. Ill need to order those.its alao good to hear that the rivieras are problematic and my notch is not the only one with the rear passenger wheel sticking out a little.

Suesanctuary Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:37 pm

oremkid wrote: Bob, serriously thank you for being so thorough and helpful in your posts. l crawled under there this morning and there is maybe only one or two bolts holding the body to the subframe. I have the square washers but no nuts or pointy bolts to put it all together. Ill need to order those.its alao good to hear that the rivieras are problematic and my notch is not the only one with the rear passenger wheel sticking out a little.

You might try Mike Fisher or Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) and see IF either one has any for sale. Mike's usually parting a car (to sell the rockers off of), and he might have these parts just laying on the ground. :wink:

Mike Fisher Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 am

I just sold a set for a notch for $20 locally, but I still have 2 frying pans full.

marchi Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Flamer is cock-eyed also but was hit on passenger side in early 90's. cant really tell until you go to clean the tires