TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing rust from sandblasted panels Eastwood fast etch?
Ohio_Style Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Disclaimer: I have don't my share of body and paint work, and typically would just have this blasted, but I don't really want to deal with all the sand mess and I don't want to blast the whole thing.

My 65 double cab had the inside upper cab walls and dash sandblasted by a previous owner and then it sat for a good amount of time. It has a good amount of surface rust, the flat areas clean up pretty well with a roloc scotch pad on a angle die grinder, but all the nooks and crannies, as well as the fuel tank area are going to be impossible to clean this way.

I'm looking at thishttp://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/4967/category/234/?p=3 to kill the rust, then coat with a good primer sealer before paint. The reviews seem to be excelent. I have used naval jelly plenty of times, but I don't want to wash it down with water and flash rust again.

Anyone used this stuff with luck? Any other methods I should be looking at?

c21darrel Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

I have never used that product, but it looks like its just Phosphoric acid, available at half the price at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Phosphoric-Prep-and-Etch-GKPA30220/100406369

djway3474 Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 pm

I sprayed some panels about a year ago and they are still clean but it probably is just straight phosphoric acid.

Mike Fisher Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:41 am

You don't have to meticulously clean off the acid before spraying it with primer. Any primer sticks to it like glue.

Ohio_Style Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks, I actually was cleaning out my flammables cabinet and have about a pint of the fast etch, it came in a motorcycle tank seal kit I bought years ago and I forgot all about it. Going to give it a shot sometime this week.

Hyperspace Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 am

Just get a small hobby sandblaster, they are about $20 to $30,use it for the nooks and crannies.