TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '67 Bug. Our adventure.
Jiffy_Jeff Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:26 am

A couple of years ago we picked up a '67 bug. I am the greenest of green and had only ridden in bugs in high school. This is our father daughter project. She is 13 (12 when we got it) so we are not in a big hurry. My 8 year old loves working on it too.

We are not going to do a pan off restoration. We are going to do as much as possible without the pan off.

The first thing I did was have the engine rebuilt. Runs great. About 6 months ago I did the brakes so it stops better.
After a year went by we picked up the rims she wanted and they came with tires. Which is great because the old tires were cracked from the sun and were not safe. I drive it a few times a week to keep it fresh.

Here are some pics of the before and some progress. I will add more pics as we go along. Samba has been great to us and we appreciate the help with our questions.
The day I took it home

New (used) rims & tires so I don't have to worry about the old tires falling apart.

My daughters started removing the old carpet and prepping the floor for Line X. (Or Dynamat, still researching) Some surface rust to clean up and the tar that has hardened in some places.

deant Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:24 am

looks like a nice solid bug to start with. Enjoy your time working on it with your daughter. the kids are grown up and gone in a blink!

gt1953 Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:55 am

I see it have been upgraded to retractable seat belts.
Where about in Arizona???
Sure is nice when you get the children involved. At least they will be able to drive a stick!

Jiffy_Jeff Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:29 am

I am down in Yuma.

It's fun to work with the girls. They get excited about seeing the work they have done.

BG Brian Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:08 pm

have you seen this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524322

Jiffy_Jeff Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

BG Brian wrote: have you seen this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524322

Yup. Followed it. Great project.