TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wolfsburg West Dash Trim and attachment clips
roy63 Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:52 am

Does any one have a secret they would like to share on these tiny little night mares? I have the new trim which is no where as shiny as my og trim it has a satin look to it and the plastic clips dont fit the in the trim to attach it to the car. Do I need to wait for the stars to line up for the correct gravataional pull? I have had awsome luck with WW but these things are a JOKE! This is in my 63.

RareAir Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Plastic clips? You might have the clips. VW original used small metal clips

grandpa pete Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 pm

go to the classifieds and buy used original ones

roy63 Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm

grandpa pete wrote: go to the classifieds and buy used original ones

all I found were in either WAY overpriced or look like they were drug behind a truck.

andk5591 Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 pm

If you have what I used on a 67, they are little H shaped clips with a pin in the center. You insert the clip in the hole and push the pin in until its flush. The new trim just snaps over them.

hitest Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10 pm

The subject's been covered before- and neither of those thread authors mentions what WW told them when they called...

roy63 Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:21 pm

I did search and didnt find much, so how about pointing me in the right direction. I have not called WW yet, what was the others outcome?

62ItalianRagtop Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:12 am

OG trim --> metal clips
REPRO trim --> plastic clips --> you must enlarge dash holes

andk5591 Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 am

62ItalianRagtop wrote: OG trim --> metal clips

Really? I didnt have to on the 67...

roy63 Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 am

62ItalianRagtop wrote: OG trim --> metal clips

I am not going to do that, I will have to be on the hunt at swap meets for the OG trim I guess.

62ItalianRagtop Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:03 am

I also bought some og ones

Snydr Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:04 am

When I opened the box and saw the Wolfsburg West trim/clips; I just laughed... and subsequently put my OG trim back on the car. One of the few wastes of money from Wolfsburg West; I'm no purist but I can deal with the OG dash trim with some defects and blemishes over that crap they sell you.

Why their dash trim can't look like their exterior trim door trim, I have no idea.

67jason Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am

If you got plastic clips, you have the wrong ones. WW sells the correct ones.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113853235

Got me some a week ago and the fit just like the originals.

62ItalianRagtop Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am

These ones are for og trims

toyvergnugen Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:58 pm

The WW repro trim and plastic clips go together and are a PITA to install on fresh painted glove box. The trim itself is narrower than og trim so I do not think the OG metal clips will fit. I wish I had used OG trim and clips. I am a little concerned about removing the repro stuff now considering how hard ot was to seat the clips. Lesson learned. MY advice. Send repro back and hold out for OG.

grandpa pete Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 am

I bought a dented glove box door at a swap meet to get the original clips

vwnut1 Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 am

toyvergnugen wrote: The WW repro trim and plastic clips go together and are a PITA to install on fresh painted glove box. The trim itself is narrower than og trim so I do not think the OG metal clips will fit. I wish I had used OG trim and clips. I am a little concerned about removing the repro stuff now considering how hard ot was to seat the clips. Lesson learned. MY advice. Send repro back and hold out for OG.

Yes, I can confirm that the aftermarket dash trim is narrower than the OG trim. I recently went through this and the OG clips will not work because they are too large. I was unable to find a VW vendor that sells metal clips to fit the thinner aftermarket trim and eventually made the plastic clips work.

66Greenhorn Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:25 pm

I used screws on the trim near speedo, used a flapper disc to round down the edges and tucked screw head underneath rail slot, work awesome.
Glove Box i saw no other way but to use original metal clips, although only two this time.