TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Temp check and knocking when turning off engine 131.4
AZChips Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Ok, so my new to me 58 is currently running at 131.4 in the dipstick with an ambient here in sunny AZ of 100.5 (based on the thermometer. According to my phone its 94 degrees out.

How does that temp sound?

Also, after I did the following it started to knock on shutdown:

1) Added new dizzy and coil
2) New fuel pump and regulator

3) Caveat...today is by far the hottest day I have driven in since I bought this Bug way back three weeks ago. =)

AZChips Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Well, I think I fixed things a bit. My timing was too retarded and my pulley belt was loose. Fixed both and runs good now and only got to 201 degrees versus the 231.4 earlier.

AZChips Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Well, I guess I didn't fix things...just went for a longer ride and had to pull over as it started to sputter and wanted to die... Checked temp once I found a parking spot and it was 225-230 again. Let it cool to 200 or so and got her home about 2 miles. Temp was 224 when I got home.

Also, the red light came on when it was sputtering. I just changed oil and its full.

drscope Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 pm

So why did you change the dizzy, coil, fuel pump and regulator in the first place? The answer may have something to do with your problem.

And what did you replace them with?

Also you told us it's a 58, but you didn't tell us what engine or what mods it may have.