TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front/rear tire pressures?
catahoula lou Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 am

My friend ended up not selling his 1964 356C to me, as he found a replacement engine for his car in a Bushwacker dune buggy (?!?!?) that we towed to his home yesterday. Engine runs somewhat roughly w/out knocks or other sounds, paid ~$1700 total.

During the trip, I mentioned that VW recommends front/rear tire presssures of 19/27 pounds in radial tires for my 1959 lowlight Karmann Ghia. He mentioned that Porsche recommends ~37 pounds all-around on his 993, but was not sure if Porsche recommends different front/rear pressures for the 356C.

Any info, including scanned documents, available?

Best,

Thom

MMW Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:43 pm

https://porsche356registry.org/article/210

Here is a link to an article on tire pressures.

Another note copied from the 356 Registry.

Changing your tires every 9 years (no matter how good they look) and checking tire pressures before driving makes it highly unlikely that a modern tire will come off the rim or have a tread separation (learn how to read your tire date code here). Most 356ers run their tires anywhere from 26 to 30 front, 28 to 34 rear, and maintain approximately a 4psi differential front to rear. For more about tire pressures go here.

catahoula lou Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:09 am

Thanks, MMW! My friend is a confirmed Luddite (no cell phone, computers, etc) and he will appreciate the information.

Best,

Thom