TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How Do I install the rear seat for a 1971 VW squareback?
egypsy7 Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 pm

I have the rear seat in but I have two 2" long springs (4" long from hook to hook) left over and I don't know where they go. Can you help?

grandpa pete Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 pm

I took one apart recently and the springs were part of the release mechanism.....when you pulled the release and then let go the spring pulled the handle back into place

egypsy7 Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi Grandpa Pete:

My 71 squareback has two levers to release the back rest. These levers are held in place by the weight of the seat. When the seat is lifted up the two levers automatically open by two springs which are in place. The two springs I am referring to I found on the floorboard underneath the back bench seat. Now I am wondering if they even have anything to do with the seat folding down. It works fine so I am not going to concern myself with these springs. Thank you for your time.

egypsy7

p.s. really liked the pictures you posted of your work.

Bobnotch Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:01 am

egypsy7 wrote: Hi Grandpa Pete:

My 71 squareback has two levers to release the back rest. These levers are held in place by the weight of the seat. When the seat is lifted up the two levers automatically open by two springs which are in place. The two springs I am referring to I found on the floorboard underneath the back bench seat. Now I am wondering if they even have anything to do with the seat folding down. It works fine so I am not going to concern myself with these springs. Thank you for your time.

egypsy7

I had to stop and think of where those 2 springs you found actually locate. I believe they're for the seat back rest. There should be a hole on each side arm for 1 end of the spring, and a tab welded to the floor (near the edge of the seat bottom) with a hole in it for the other end. It works like a "cam over pivot" (for lack of a better way to put it), in that after you get to a certain point, the springs either pull the back downward, or pull it upright.
I hope this helps.

Mike Fisher Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 am

The 2 springs hook to the floor at the base of the wheel wells. The other ends hook to the flat bars on the sides of the seatback.

egypsy7 Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Bobnotch wrote: egypsy7 wrote: Hi Grandpa Pete:

egypsy7

I had to stop and think of where those 2 springs you found actually locate. I believe they're for the seat back rest. There should be a hole on each side arm for 1 end of the spring, and a tab welded to the floor (near the edge of the seat bottom) with a hole in it for the other end. It works like a "cam over pivot" (for lack of a better way to put it), in that after you get to a certain point, the springs either pull the back downward, or pull it upright.
I hope this helps.

Thanks Bob

Your answer to the location of the springs was right on! Just got them in now.

I am new to this sight and I made a comment on the report tab thinking it was the reply tab. Didn't mean to do that. Again thanks for your answer.

egypsy7

egypsy7 Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: The 2 springs hook to the floor at the base of the wheel wells. The other ends hook to the flat bars on the sides of the seatback.

Thanks Mike

Your answer to the location of the springs was right on! Just got them in now. Its a good feeling.
Thank You!

egypsy7

egypsy7 Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 pm

grandpa pete wrote: I took one apart recently and the springs were part of the release mechanism.....when you pulled the release and then let go the spring pulled the handle back into place

I am new to this sight and I made a comment on the report tab thinking it was the reply tab. Didn't mean to do that. Sorry

egypsy7