TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: carburetor start up
SaraMelis Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Ok! No rodents in my vw, awesome. Now, the new wire harness has been installed and the electrical all seems fine, but, it still will not start. It sounds like it the engine wants to turn so i believe its a fuel issue. New fuel pump and the plastic chamber underneath has been replaced (it was cracked) . The carb. Was rebuilt and I was recently told that it should be adjusted somehow......how!?!?!? when it can only be adjusted while running?

Please help. First vw ever worked on. Thank you vw friends.

Getting comfy in this world,
12 volt
1962 ~ 1600cc
Single carb.
[/vimeo]

*Darren Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:43 am

Many members (me included) will tell you to remove the fuel filter (the plastic thing) from the engine compartment as it is a fire hazard. Now on to your issue.

Is the engine merely spinning or has it coughed a couple of times trying to fire? Are you using fresh gas? Is the carb working (can you see gas being sprayed when you pump the accelerator pedal)? Two person job & you have to remove the air cleaner. Are you getting spark? Did you gap your points? From sitting they could have frozen up. If you check all these things it should start, however, sometimes after sitting for extended periods a car just takes its own sweet time in starting and you have to just keep noodling with it until it decides to start. Others will chime in with other suggestions.

Eric&Barb Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:21 am

1. Have you dripped in some fuel into the inlet side of the fuel pump?

2. Have you filled the carb with fuel?

Both of the above can be done easier if you cut up a plastic fuel filter into a fuel proof funnel.

3. Do you have proper length push rod for fuel pump being used??

Please post images of the engine!!!

sovereignsamba Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 am

use a spare spark plug to check spark by pulling a plug wire, sticking it on the spare plug and lay it on the engine tin so it will ground. Have a friend turn the car over and look for a bright blue spark. If it's yellow, or hard to see you have an ignition issue. If it is bright blue and easy to see, move on to fuel.

Take the air cleaner off and look down the throat of the carb. Move the choke plate out of the way and pump the throttle shaft a half dozen times looking and listening for gas spray. If there is none, careful not to spill, dump a tablespoon or two down the throat of the carb, hold the pedal down halfway and try again.

Always keep a large towel or fire extinguisher handy.

And remember to report back on your findings otherwise we will feel abandoned. :lol:

grandpa pete Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:23 pm

go.to.. www.vwresource.com .......there is a step by step..." My car won't start"

then read www.aircooled tech

Then come back to the samba with your questions 8)