TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How much should I have paid for these?
bassam Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 pm

I got my hands on an original set of 85.5mm vw pistons as i'm planning to start my rebuild in 2 weeks.

Would like to know how much should I have paid for these as the guy settled for 300$ piston rings included. And if they come with the piston rings built in or do they come in a separate kit.

Thanks guys.

ataraxia Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:33 am

Aren't you answering your own question?

You should have paid whatever you're willing to pay...and you did.

That having been said, I've purchased NOS sets for about $150-200 in the box without rings, which are another $20-40.

bassam Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:14 am

Was just curious to know if i got ripped off. Considering that original pistons in the box are mighty rare where i live (Lebanon), i guess i got a good deal.

ataraxia Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:30 am

bassam wrote: Was just curious to know if i got ripped off. Considering that original pistons in the box are mighty rare where i live (Lebanon), i guess i got a good deal.

The 'rare' factor typically drive the price up. Less competition equals higher prices. If they're hard to find in Lebanon, you likely got a good deal if you didn't want to wait for shipping or to find another set.

Bobnotch Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 am

All I was going to say, is that all of the sets of pistons and cylinders I've bought, came with the rings. If yours didn't, then you'll need to measure the gaps, to get the correct rings.

As for whether or not you got ripped off, the big question is whether or not they are forged pistons, versus cast. Forged are more expensive.

bassam Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 am

Bobnotch wrote: All I was going to say, is that all of the sets of pistons and cylinders I've bought, came with the rings. If yours didn't, then you'll need to measure the gaps, to get the correct rings.

As for whether or not you got ripped off, the big question is whether or not they are forged pistons, versus cast. Forged are more expensive.

Thx all for ur replies.
Hey bob, how can i tell the difference between cast and forged?

Mike Fisher Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:20 am

Those look like cast pistons to me. The forged would be shiny.

bassam Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:53 am

My dad says they're cast. They dnt come oem forged.