TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front Heater Box Rebuild -What foam to use for flapper doors
scottjk Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:36 am

I took out my front heater box to replace both wiper shaft assemblies and decided to clean it up. All the foam on the flapper doors is disintegrated and I'd like to replace it.

What foam do you guys recommend? I'd hate to put something in there that reacts with heat and either smells or off gases.

I've got some closed cell foam left over that is used for under floor applications. I wonder how this would work.

Thanks

Scott

Alaric.H Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 am

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03420-Yard-Pickup-Camper/dp/B000CPZYFE

dhaavers Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:52 am

EDIT: Damn, Al beat me to it!

scottjk Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 am

How dense is that stuff? Will it allow the flapper doors to close enough?

This stuff looks good for sealing the heater core barrier but I'm not sure it would work on sealing the 6 flapper doors.

luVWagn Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:06 am

scottjk wrote: How dense is that stuff? Will it allow the flapper doors to close enough?

This stuff looks good for sealing the heater core barrier but I'm not sure it would work on sealing the 6 flapper doors.
Others have used it with success, there are threads on here detailing install tips (including use of a hot awl).

danfromsyr Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:08 am

I use the 1.5in grey felt you find in the window/door weatherstripping isle of the hardware store. you'll need to cut/punch the holes for the retaining plates to snap thru.
http://www.frostking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/S258-17.jpg

you can see a good write up here on Cojinchef's blog site, about mid way down.
http://chojinchef-vanagonowneragain.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html

chimivee Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:33 pm

I re-foamed the heater flaps on a prior van about 10 years ago and, at least at the time, I couldn't find any camper top foam locally that seemed like a suitable replacement, even though that's what everyone recommended. But I don't remember if I tried specifically the 3M stuff mentioned in this thread.

I ended up using pipe insulation wrap and it seemed to work well. It's thin, fairly dense closed cell foam, but very soft and squishable - kinda like memory foam the way it compresses.

IdahoDoug Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:05 pm

I have a thread on it as well. Whatever I used is ID'd in the thread and it seemed tailor made. It was extremely soft so conformed well to the surfaces with minimal pressure but also had kind of a "memory foam" feel so when the flaps were closed it seemed to further mush and conform with any high spots not preventing full and even seal pressure. Worthy project. Quieted the van on the highway (was whistling) and the fan blew a hurricane after this job.

DougM

SyncroJack Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm

What ever foam I used sticks in freezing weather and occasionally bends the control cables. Grrrr. I need to revisit the heater box foams.......