TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Subwoofer with storage options
Captjon1959 Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:58 pm

My son recently gave me his subwoofer with amp. I've wanted one to augment the lack of bottom end on the Westy's speaker system. The problem was it didn't fit anywhere very well.

Here's the original box with a 12" speaker

The other thing I had in mind was how cool the Rocky Mountain Westy Storage box is, but it was made to place a Propex heater under it and I needed a place for my sub.

So I decided I try to build my own from 3/4" plywood. Here is my attempt. First the sub box. I decided a down-firing sub would work best since it would protect the speaker and I could fit the 12" diameter this way.

Here's the sub ready to install.

And then in place.

Here it is behind the seat.

Next I build storage boxes to go on top top of it. One that would make it the same height as the passenger seat pedestal. and then a taller addition that would allow for more storage...

This way I hoped I could just use the sub portion for around town. Add the smaller storage for quick trips; and the whole stack for camping.

The next challenge was to cover it. I decided to use the same stuff they cover subwoofer boxes with. It is trunk liner and you can order it by the yard and put it on with spray adhesive. It would look better in a Westy with a grey interior, but hey, what can a guy do?

The stuff is pretty easy to work with but I did cut one finger pretty badly and got my hands full of spray adhesives. I then decided to wear gloves.. duh!

I used register pins that mate into holes drilled to align the boxes.

Then a piano hinge to put the top on.

The next step was to put clasps on to hold it all together and still allow it to be configured as needed. I also didn't want this thing falling apart and flying around in an accident.

Here it is almost finished and configured in its tallest mode.

In the van as just the sub.

With the small storage.

And the tall set up.

The next thing I need to do is to secure it to the floor. I have sourced the stuff to do it with. I want it to be secured in the event of an accident yet still able to be removed. I also want any fasteners to be flush with the floor. I think I've found what I need to do this and will add to this post when I am done. I hope it works as well as I hope.... good sound for tunes and a little more storage to keep organized.

LemonCove Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:53 pm

I like it! The variable size is a clever touch.

I planned to do something very similar . . . . build a removable storage with a sub in it. Thus far I only have the sub box. I used to have a 70 Bay Camper with the kitchen behind the pass seat and want to use that space in a similar way.

I decided to make the sub/storage easily removable for when I want to have more cargo space. I used this connection block for easier connect/disconnect of the sub.

vw4life Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:14 pm

I have been envisioning this for a while. Been toying with trying to make a military ammo crate, a vintage cooler work but this has given me a few ideas.

I have a fridge but wanted something I could haul out easily and have tunes at a campground/beach.

Captjon1959 Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:15 am

Lemoncove, I like the way you mounted the speaker connections... I want my sub to be easy to move in and out. I also used 3/4" plywood so it would be sturdy enough to act as a foot stool in the sub-only mode, and as a landing pad for getting in and out of the top bunk in the tall mode.

tristessa Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:11 am

LemonCove wrote: I used this connection block for easier connect/disconnect of the sub.
Put some banana plugs on the wires and you can connect/disconnect easier and faster, plus you won't get little wire strands everyplace. I'd either use right-angle plugs or turn that connection block over so the plugs angle towards the floor.

LemonCove Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:49 am

Tristessa-

Great idea on the plugs (just ordered some) and turning the block over!

kbeefy Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:30 pm

nice work CaptJon, thats pretty cool!

Greystar Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:19 pm

That's great with the modular aspect. Now if you can fit a porta-potty in the big storage you'll have dual woofers!

Captjon1959 Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 pm

I attached the sub and storage assembly to the floor today. The goal is to make it less likely to fly around in the event of an accident. I know in a violent accident all bets are off, but this I hope would help.

I first set what the package calls threaded brad holes into the floor. I drilled out a hole and pounded the threaded insert into the hole then screwed them down.

Here are all four of them set in place.

These are the packages. I used an allen head screw since I figured it would allow me to put the heads under the subwoofer and use an "L" shaped hex wrench to reach under to tighen an loosen. When the assemble is out there isn't much to stub your toe on.

When it is fastened in the screw heads are under the unit so there's no way to catch a toe either.

Here's a view from the aisle side. I made it flush with the aisle. I now have to mount the amp under the seat and conceal all the wiring. I also downloaded a Youtube video on how to make your own cargo nets. I think I'll make some so I can also store stuff off the outside of the unit while traveling. I made a test net, and it is really simple and cheap. More on that later.