TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pertronix Ignitor / Coil Connection Question
pachy Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:42 pm

hey yall!

i recently purchased a Pertronix Ignitor 1847A. i just noticed that one side of the coil terminal (which i dont know if its the negative or the positive side) is completely full. my car also has a electric fuel pump, i dont know if that has to do with one side being full.

any ideas on how should i approach this matter? :?

thanks!
:D

Randy in Maine Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:46 pm

[img]
[/img]

Thank Amskeptic for that drawing.

You really need to power up the fuel pump via a relay.

Wildthings Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Take the three way from the negative side and piggy back it onto the positive side, either using washers to space it out a bit, or bending the taps to a sharper angle. You can buy a single tap male adapter for the negative side from many FLAPS to then use on the negative side.

pachy Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 pm

thank you so much for the help! i was actually considering disconnecting the reverse light and using that space but im going to do what you said Wildthings.

thank you so much!

telford dorr Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Side note: Here's a solution to the Pertronix color code connection confusion:

1) Buy a length of green and a length of black heat shrink tubing, of a diameter (~ 1/4") that will fit over the terminals on the Pertronix connecting wires.

2) Cut a 1" length of each color tubing.

3) Install the green tubing onto the connector on the black Pertronix wire. Shrink into place.

4) Install the black tubing on the red Pertronix wire. Shrink into place.

You can now connect your Pertronix wiring by using the shrink tubing colors. Everybody knows that black is +12 volts, and goes to the coil terminal [15] with all of the other black wires, and green is the "points" wire, and goes to the other coil terminal [1], generally all by itself (except for FI...) - WV color code standard for ever and ever.

Follow this color code and you'll never go wrong...

pachy Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 am

woops!

so i just discovered that my distributor is not a 009 because the pertronix that i have doesn't look like it fits my distributor.

here is a pic of my distributor:

is mine a 034 svda? which pertronix fits this distributor? the 1847 or the 1847V?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Wildthings Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:40 am

telford dorr wrote: Side note: Here's a solution to the Pertronix color code connection confusion:

1) Buy a length of green and a length of black heat shrink tubing, of a diameter (~ 1/4") that will fit over the terminals on the Pertronix connecting wires.

2) Cut a 1" length of each color tubing.

3) Install the green tubing onto the connector on the black Pertronix wire. Shrink into place.

4) Install the black tubing on the red Pertronix wire. Shrink into place.

You can now connect your Pertronix wiring by using the shrink tubing colors. Everybody knows that black is +12 volts, and goes to the coil terminal [15] with all of the other black wires, and green is the "points" wire, and goes to the other coil terminal [1], generally all by itself (except for FI...) - WV color code standard for ever and ever.

Follow this color code and you'll never go wrong...

Good idea. Maybe add to that using a ring terminal on the negative #1 wire instead of using a spade connector.

udidwht Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 am

Even easier just mark with a bright permanent marker at each perspective side of the coil + and -

Done

mnskmobi Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 pm

pachy wrote: woops!

so i just discovered that my distributor is not a 009 because the pertronix that i have doesn't look like it fits my distributor.

here is a pic of my distributor:

is mine a 034 svda? which pertronix fits this distributor? the 1847 or the 1847V?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

You can see the vacuum advance at the top of your photo. The 'V' in 1847V stands for vacuum so that is more likely to fit than the 1847. :D

udidwht Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm

While your at it purchase an oil pressure switch boot :wink:

Desertbusman Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm

Probably best to ask the people that know the most about which Ignitor for your distributor. So go to the Pertronix website for your question. You will need the part number off of you distributor for their application chart.

No, yours isn't an 009. The 009 is mechanical only.

Tom Powell Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 pm

telford dorr wrote: ... Everybody knows that black is +12 volts ...

Dagnabit:

I've been using red for 12V positive. I installed a red 2g cable from the battery to the starter because I thought a black cable was confusing when hooking up a battery charger with red positive and black negative. I also hacked in 12V outlets with fused red power wires and black grounds. The FLAPS didn't have brown wire so I used black for the grounds.

Aloha
tp

Desertbusman Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:09 am

Tom Powell wrote: telford dorr wrote: ... Everybody knows that black is +12 volts ...

Dagnabit:

I've been using red for 12V positive.

Good for you and me too. That's why the Pertronix power wire is red because red is the standard for POS. And black for NEG.

Of course with the Pertronix it requires knowing which coil terminal is which or else the Ignitor gets instantly fried. And that's a concern with stock T-1's since the coil is mounted inverted and where you can't really see the identification of the posts. The POS, +, #15 is the one with multi connections including the Pertronix Red Pos. And the NEG, -, #1 only has the Black Pertronix wire or maybe a tach wire also.

Mal evolent Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 am

if you believe that "everybody knows" that black is positive watch other people panic when you hook up jumper cables. golly gosh gee whiz, I'm the only guy here who gets it...

which lead is hooked up to positive on your stereo?

red is positive in the American automotive industry and in electronics. black is negative, AKA ground, in the American automotive industry and in electronics. black is hot in AC wiring, ergo black is positive in RV DC wiring. there is no hard and fast rule.

Pertronix should use red and green, that would make some sense.

Honda uses black with a white stripe for the points, green for ground. VW uses brown for ground.

there can be no rule "everybody knows" in an environment this chaotic.

Dansux Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 am

The terminal on the coil is full so you need a connector from RadioShack called a piggyback. The top one in the picture is a piggyback:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?produc...=CT2032231

They also come in handy working under the dash when you need to connect 2 wires to the same terminal.