TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 66 vs. 67 tranny
itskyle Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Besides the 4th gear ratio, and the flywheel, are there any other differences, like a reverse switch for backup lamps?

Kyle

glutamodo Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:24 pm

For USA specification transaxles, it's not a 4th gear difference, it's a difference in the final drive (differential) gearing, which affects every gear. (3rd gear did also change for 1967, but 4th did not)

And you're right, 1967 in the USA had the backup light switch. Also, 1967 was set up for 12V... different starter bushing and machined for the 4mm larger diameter flywheel.

-Andy

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:44 am

In addition.. for USA spec Beetles.

When comparing 1966 vs 1967

1967 swingaxles have approx 25mm (1 inch) longer axle shafts and tubes (per side). (long axle short spline)
Increases rear track width by approx 2 inches when used as a complete transaxle.
This information applies to 1968 swing axles as well.
1968 axle shafts are slightly longer than the 67's (long axle long spline) at the spline end to take advantage of the longer spline 4 lug drums.
The 1968 tubes are the same length as 67's but use different outer bearing offsets.
It is important to keep bearing caps with their respective tubes no matter the year.

Short axles (pre 67) and tubes can be installed on 1967 and 1968 transaxle cases.

itskyle Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 pm

glutamodo wrote: For USA specification transaxles, it's not a 4th gear difference, it's a difference in the final drive (differential) gearing, which affects every gear. (3rd gear did also change for 1967, but 4th did not)

Ok, I'm wrong about the gearing. My real question is now:

Did all US 67 trannies have the backup light switch installed even if the beetle didn't have backup lights? Wasn't this an option, and not standard?

Quote:
And you're right, 1967 in the USA had the backup light switch. Also, 1967 was set up for 12V... different starter bushing and machined for the 4mm larger diameter flywheel.

-Andy

glutamodo Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Progressive Refinements says the threaded hole for the backup light switch was added to all Bug, Ghia and Type 3 nose cones for 1967.

The parts book says markets that did not have backup lights had a 113301229A plug installed there instead of a switch.

-Andy

BG Brian Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 am

Sorry to hijack but will the later 67/68 or irs nosecones fit the earlier 6v trannys.Is it a direct swap over if you wanted to add a reverse switch ?

Helfen Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 am

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: In addition.. for USA spec Beetles.

When comparing 1966 vs 1967

1967 swingaxles have approx 25mm (1 inch) longer axle shafts and tubes (per side). (long axle short spline)
Increases rear track width by approx 2 inches when used as a complete transaxle.
This information applies to 1968 swing axles as well.
1968 axle shafts are slightly longer than the 67's (long axle long spline) at the spline end to take advantage of the longer spline 4 lug drums.
The 1968 tubes are the same length as 67's but use different outer bearing offsets.
It is important to keep bearing caps with their respective tubes no matter the year.

Short axles (pre 67) and tubes can be installed on 1967 and 1968 transaxle cases.

"This information applies to 1968 swing axles as well. "

Actually this applies to swing transaxles built from 1967 to Jan 1978 in Europe in the 1200 "A" series cars.

VOLKSWAGNUT Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm

BG Brian wrote: Sorry to hijack but will the later 67/68 or irs nosecones fit the earlier 6v trannys.Is it a direct swap over if you wanted to add a reverse switch ?

Yep.

Helfen wrote:

Actually this applies to swing transaxles built from 1967 to Jan 1978 in Europe in the 1200 "A" series cars.

Which is exaclty why I posted..

Sooooo..I guess we should add Mexican built Beetles into that as well, as they had wide axle Swing Axles til the end too!
Canadian Standard too ( I think)..

I suppose??? (as I dont know 100%) ..if its an originally equipped swing axle built after Aug 1966... it most likely has 1 inch wider axles...

But non the les...good information ya needed to add there Helfen

Helfen Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: BG Brian wrote: Sorry to hijack but will the later 67/68 or irs nosecones fit the earlier 6v trannys.Is it a direct swap over if you wanted to add a reverse switch ?

Yep.

Helfen wrote:

Which is exaclty why I posted..

Sooooo..I guess we should add Mexican built Beetles into that as well, as they had wide axle Swing Axles til the end too!
Canadian Standard too ( I think)..

I suppose??? (as I dont know 100%) ..if its an originally equipped swing axle built after Aug 1966... it most likely has 1 inch wider axles...

But non the les...good information ya needed to add there Helfen

Since there are subscribers to the forum all over the world it definitely helps them and us to know what parts are open to them to be able to use.