TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '63 BUG Conv. "BARN FIND" Restore it or keep it or Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
cjargo Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 pm

The original owner bought it new directly from the Germany factory, briefly drove it, then shipped it to San Francisco where it was his weekend car. In the 90's he parked it, and from that time he would start it once a month till 2003. Unfortunately, he was to old to care for it properly, so it has sat ever since. After he passed last year, it fell into his daughter's hands. Since then I've been negoutating with her and eventually purchased it for 2.5K, just thru the pictures you see. She's unsure of the miles, but she said it was low, and also, that the car was left original. FYI: I'll be seeing the car in person this coming Saturday.

At this point, I'm pondering if I should keep it original or restore it. If I restore it, I'd wrench it myself as usual, but I'd out source the paint, top and interior work. If I keep it original, it would have the rubber components chanced, new fluids, then get it running. Eventually I sell it, soooo what would be the best bang for the buck with profit?

The original German License plate is be behind the front Cal. black plate.

my59 Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:02 am

With only the photos to go on and the proviso it runs, go thru the brake system, new tires, oil change and tune up, change the gear oil and clean the exterior and interior and drive it for a while while you contemplate what to do.

henry roberts Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:27 am

of course the choice is yours but I would keep it original.

new rubbers and a full mechanical going over to daily driver reliability but with no modifications.

detail it inside and out, top to bottom.

add some sort of removable protectant (ankor wax?) on the underside areas where the paint might be a bit thin. aka under the fuel tank, above the gearbox and under the guards.

call it done and enjoy it.

costs a lot less than a full restoration, it won't go down in value, it will turn heads where ever you go, you get to enjoy it for a while and original is still king.

I can't comment on sale prices but I personally would take a slightly scruffy original car over anything but a 100% perfect, all NOS restoration, any day of the week. most days I'd still take an og car over the best restored cars too.

iowegian Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 am

Repainting that car would be a crime.

RareAir Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:48 am

Best bang for maximum profit? Clean/tidy it up & get it running/stopping.

panicman Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 am

Agree with the others; keep it in survivor condition. It gives your prospective buyer the most flexibility, and demonstrates that the car has been well preserved, not modified or tampered with.

grandpa pete Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 am

I Watched "" Gas Monkey Garage " recently .
Richard bought an old zephyr and told his guys NOT TO CLEAN IT...

..He sold it DIRTY to someone who wanted to do a BARN FIND .

Clean ; it's another old car in the classifieds......IMHO and Richards

rcooled Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 am

Well, if all you're interested in is flipping it for a profit, just clean it up, make it driveable, then put it on the market. You practically stole it at $2.5K, so if it's not rusty, there's probably an easy $5k in it for you by just investing in a bucket of soapy water and some chrome polish.
Once you get into a 'restoration', costs mount up quickly and it becomes harder to make any decent money on the turn around. This will be especially true if you have to farm out the paint, top and interior work.

YouBugMe58 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 am

iowegian wrote: Repainting that car would be a crime.

I like fresh paint but I must agree with iowegian and others. Its to good to paint. Keep it as is and make trustworthy. if you do any thing just freshin the interior and top and fix any dangerious rust areas. Sweet find. Congrats.

BTW its your car do what you will, just enjoy.

6Kabrio7 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:43 am

Yeah clean it up and get it going but leave the paint alone even the smoothies are the original two tone.

hitest Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Put me down for "preserve" vote number 11.

Verts that need restoration fall out of trees in CA- cars that don't, don't. If it is a project you seek- you could sell this car and finance most of a shinier one - then two people would be jacked!

gt1953 Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Current state of affairs in the car market is original unrestored. That is what you have or will have.
Gonna chime in get it running and stopping, clean up the interior, do wash and use rubbing compound on the exterior. It will polish just fine.
I feel like others that is your bang for the buck.
Painting that car would be a felony in some circles.

iowegian Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm

gt1953 wrote: Current state of affairs in the car market is original unrestored. That is what you have or will have.
Gonna chime in get it running and stopping, clean up the interior, do wash and use rubbing compound on the exterior. It will polish just fine.
I feel like others that is your bang for the buck.
Painting that car would be a felony in some circles.
You are right. There are not many of us that have been selected to be the the stewards of one-owner cars-----especially cars that have documented provenance.

Ace Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm

That's referenced as an original survivor. The amount of owners is a big bonus. It is worth probably close to 6 like it is and will appreciate well in the condition it is in. You are talking at about 10k or more to throw into it for a proper restoration.

Cusser Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:41 pm

That is really cool !!! Fix the top and interior, etc. and keep it, drive it !!!

slo356 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Did the right person buy the car? ':?:'

Reality check: Do you have enough money to do what ever you do correctly? I am not suggesting you don't, I am just hoping you do.

Whether you choose a full and true restoration or merely making it safe, clean and reliable to drive. Do it right with real VW parts, NOS where possible. Skip the cheap crap from point east just to save money. Any person wanting to buy a car like this, if you want to just flip, will see right through a fluff and fold job!

All old VW's require and deserve proper maintenance and one that has be sitting for as long as this one has, is due it's past share.

IF IT WERE MINE: I would start with a thorough cleaning, old dirt seems to loose it's charm. Clean chrome, windows and evidence of rodents. I would move on to full mechanical attention to ALL fluids, adjustments and electrical including cleaning all grounds. New tires, brakes, battery, safety equipment and probably even new bulbs. That is where I would start.

Then drive it a while and get to know it.

Btw, I had a '62 exactly like it for 20 years, great car.

Good Luck and have fun.

mattbug Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Fix what needs fixing, give a tune and new brakes and drive it. Its spent far too many years couped up in a shed.

johnnypan Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:28 pm

25 hundred bucks? wheres a cop when you need him?you stole it,fair and square..

On the flip its all about profit,the most cash for the least investment..and that car is prime flip material,get it running,clean it up and advertise here,to make the best money be able to ship it overseas..

ya gotta be cold hearted to flip some cars..this one I would keep and sell my other junk if I was calling the shots.

When you do get it you better do it at night..an LA boy lifting a prime example from the north,ya got some nerve :lol:

sb001 Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Damn that's a great find at an unbelievable price.

I agree with all the others this is one you keep original unrestored.

obfuscurity Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Heck, if it's near rust-free I'll give you $7k for it right now. :P