TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Subaru dip stick
axeman Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi
I completed a ej22 install to our syncro Westy using the burly short sump. What have out her people done to the dipstick so that it reads correctly.

Many thanks neil

pioneer1 Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:19 am

I believe Burly can tell you how many qt. capacity the shortened pan is. Empty the oil. Then add 2 quarts and etch a line on the dip stick. Add another quart and etch that line. And so on. I would think 2 quart line would be add a quart mark.

furrylittleotter Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:12 am

Check with Burley but I'm pretty sure the dipstick remains the same. Why would it change? The capacity might change some but not the full level.

Neil2

syncrodoka Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 am

The dipstick does not read the same :roll:
As stated you can add specific amounts of oil and make new marks.

Wildthings Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 am

I calculated the maximum amount of oil my shortened sump could hold and they added about that amount and marked the stick accordingly. Yes the oil level is higher than what it was originally but all the oil fits in the sump when drained down.

Franklinstower Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 am

I asked him the same question and this was his response:

...well here's how we do it. With a new motor with no oil ( as you know about .25- .50 qts hides in the crevasses of a used motor when you drain the oil and remove the pan ) We install a new filter , put the subi amount of oil 4.75 qts , fire it up , oil light goes out , shut it off , wait a minute or so , wipe the stick , dip it one more time and make you new full mark. It is above the oe mark . It is also far enough away from the crank that it wont get foamed . In your case I would put about 4 1/3 or so quarts.
Because of what I said above...

furrylittleotter Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am

Nothing but respect for Burley but the oel level should remain the same relative to the crank, which is a constant. Unless a pan is modified in such a way as to alter the dipstick height location in the pan, the dipstick remains accurate. If it is not accurate then someone has miscalculated the volume of the modified pan.period.

syncrodoka Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:45 am

If you had actual experience with the pan you would know why your statement is misguided. Period.

boroko Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 am

furrylittleotter:

I'm having trouble following your reasoning, could you please explain?
If Burl's pan is larger circumference and shorter in height, it seems that each quart would raise the level a smaller amount. An analogy would be a cup of water in drinking glass vs. a frying pan. At the very least, the difference in the marks would be different.

I agree that the distance between the oil and the crank should be close to stock to prevent aeration, (although some say it is not as critical in this engine as I would have imagined.)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Bo

furrylittleotter Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:57 pm

I don't know any other way to put it: the oil should be at the same height from the crank in a modified pan as a stock pan. Any height removed should be added in width. Is this critical? I have no idea but if the location of the dipstick is unchanged the dipstick should remain accurate if the pan is engineered precisely. I have seen Burley's pan in modified form off an engine and he does a great job on them and they are a lot of work. I just can't remember if the dipstick mount was modified. If the pan is off a pint or so I don't think its a big deal. Move the mark or just add or leave out a pint. I am not knocking hus work. I'm just saying if the dipstick mount is not modified then the dipstick SHOULD be accurate if the pan is perfectly made. If it's not do what you want

Wildthings Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:03 pm

According to the Burley ad the oil level should read correct with the original dipstick.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46

syncrodoka Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:12 pm

It only says that it holds the same capacity unless you see something that i am missing.
I run 2 of them on my vans and i know that the dipstick doesn't read the same. The instructions that burley sent franklinstower are correct.

axeman Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for you thoughts.
I think that the dip stick is in the same location on the burley sump as it is on the STD sump, I will drain down the oil change the filter and refill as per the burley quote. Just have to convert quts to litres, having said that 4.5l rings a bell.

Syncro doka is there a chance that you could post or pm me a picture of your bash plate using the burley sump?

Many thanks Neil

JeffRobenolt Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm

furrylittleotter wrote: Nothing but respect for Burley but the oel level should remain the same relative to the crank, which is a constant. Unless a pan is modified in such a way as to alter the dipstick height location in the pan, the dipstick remains accurate. If it is not accurate then someone has miscalculated the volume of the modified pan.period.

X2

Put 5 quarts in a pan that holds 4 and the oil will be on the crank.

The mark on the dipstick is best used to keep the gap between the oil and crank the same.

Jeff

Wildthings Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm

axeman wrote: Just have to convert quts to litres, having said that 4.5l rings a bell.

1 quart ~ 1 liter for most purposes

If you feel you need it closer, use 1 quart = .95 liters