TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where have all the Kombi's gone? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
72vwtype2 Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am

Is it just me or are the true original Kombi's becoming a rare breed? The classifieds are primarily westies, other campers (some of which are were originally Kombi's) and deluxes.

I gather many Kombi's, like the panels and p/u trucks, had hard working lives and have long since been retired. The Kombi's were intended to be an "all purpose" vehicle. It's scarce and non-flashy interior allowed it to haul materials, but could also accommodate seats in the back to haul people around. I believe many, because of its utilitarian purpose, are in very rough shape and hence the reason they rarely show up on the Samba.

My 72 was converted (very well) to a hard top camper and had me convinced until I had the M code interpreted. So I am slowly converting it back to its original 2 (front) 3 (middle seat) configuration which could perhaps make it a "rare original Kombi"?

Red Fau Veh Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 am

They are scarce but I think part of the reason you don't see them is because people have customized them hiding the original aspects. I also think the term kombi is thrown around randomly to describe any old bus, so few folks know a true kombi model is different. I have a 78 kombi that the original owner picked up at the factory in Germany. It has the cab only headliner and all grey back cargo walls with basic panels. 8)

420GOAT Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am

I LOVE kOBIS, they are hard to find, and always have been, most were camper converts or work trucks as mentioned, but they have no front vents for fresh air nor do they have rear heat, so by 68 a VW bus needed comfort as selling points. they also have a 3/4 ton rear axle rating compared to 1/2 ton of a regular passenger bus. i love that are one solid color. they also wont allow headliners to install for lack of mounting provisions.

oorwullie Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:27 am

where did you get that rear axle load info? it's complete bollox.

there's only 65 kg difference between the 2 and they are both well over a ton.............

and the kombi is the lower rated.
:idea:
Kombi 1135 kg
Alle anderen 1200 kg

kreemoweet Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 pm

My '71 kombi certainly does have front fresh air vents.

oorwullie Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:47 pm

kreemoweet wrote: My '71 kombi certainly does have front fresh air vents.

i never seen a bay window without them, but our fearless goat seems to live on another planet. :P

and all the ones i've had have heating to the rear , it comes out directly behind the cab bulkhead.

but whadda eye know, i'm not american ...............

i'm not anticipating a rapid reply from him............ :wink:

Wildthings Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:11 pm

I think the OP is talking more about tin top station wagons and not true Kombis.

For myself I find my somewhat strip down station wagon to be far preferable to a Camper. Way more versatile.

busdaddy Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm

The OP is referring to the actual Kombi model and not what many call any bus model. A real Kombi is a panelvan with windows, no interior in the back, just paint on the base model, seats and hardbaord linings were optional extras. No rear heater outlets under the back seat like a stationwagon or Westfalia equipped bus either and no fresh air vents running along the front doors to the rear load area, no chrome or 2 tone paint either, just the basic stripper model work truck.
Unconverted Kombi's are getting to be a rare sight for many of the reasons already mentioned, I like them, a little noisy inside like a panelvan but light and fun to drive and lots of room for cargo (easier to see out of too).
But then again I'm a sucker for any of the working class commercial models :wink:

richparker Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Is it me or does that kombi look like it's sagging in the rear from the factory?

airschooled Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 pm

richparker wrote: Is it me or does that kombi look like it's sagging in the rear from the factory?

1971 was a good year for the bratwurst industry 8)

old DKP driver Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 pm

I drove my 72 kombi in the original shape from 1972 until 1983 when my son
got into body boarding as I would just put my boards in the back and kept the center seat for hauling the kids to little league. But as he got older I bought a 75 westy and pulled all the interior and put it in the 72 so, we could have more fun for both surfing and camping.

Best choice for me :lol: and it became more so when we had a big earthquake in 1989 and slept and cooked in it for a few days.

oorwullie Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:09 am

ok, i get what he's saying about the air vents now. in europe it was only the very deluxe model had these armrest channels.

i figgered he meant no heat outlet under the rear seat, but surely the US market kombis also had the rear heat outlet on the floor in the middle?

were the rear axle weights different to europe in the americas as well? :?:

type2much Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:34 am

Here is where one of them has gone...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626148

chimneyfish Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 am

type2much wrote: Here where one of them has gone...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1626148

That one has got a glove box lid, I thought the Kombi didn't have the lid, or was that a US market thing? Also, I thought the seat bulkheads were normally bare metal on them with no black trim, and non-opening 1/4 lights. It could be a standard microbus with the interior panelling stripped out sometime in its life.

busdaddy Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 am

chimneyfish wrote: That one has got a glove box lid, I thought the Kombi didn't have the lid, or was that a US market thing? Also, I thought the seat bulkheads were normally bare metal on them with no black trim, and non-opening 1/4 lights. It could be a standard microbus with the interior panelling stripped out sometime in its life.
North American market Kombi's came standard with a padded dash with glovebox lid, padded walkthrough, opening front vent windows and a few other safety and convenience features that were optional elsewhere, the single color paint and beige or grey painted interior in the back with no headliner as well as no fresh air vents in the bulkheads say Kombi to me.

Red Fau Veh Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am

Mine is a very rare color, white hahahaha. Seriously though, how many Kombis were sold on the european exchange plan, not many. You would need to rent hotels if you bought this thing and traveled Europe, weird!

420GOAT Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:28 pm

i love it when you guys eat shit! its pretty funny.

notchboy Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

busdaddy wrote: chimneyfish wrote: That one has got a glove box lid, I thought the Kombi didn't have the lid, or was that a US market thing? Also, I thought the seat bulkheads were normally bare metal on them with no black trim, and non-opening 1/4 lights. It could be a standard microbus with the interior panelling stripped out sometime in its life.
North American market Kombi's came standard with a padded dash with glovebox lid, padded walkthrough, opening front vent windows and a few other safety and convenience features that were optional elsewhere, the single color paint and beige or grey painted interior in the back with no headliner as well as no fresh air vents in the bulkheads say Kombi to me.

Where is that Kombi thread we did awhile back? Showing the panels inside - no headliner, no rubber mat....I bet those were from Canada eh?

busdaddy Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm

notchboy wrote: busdaddy wrote: chimneyfish wrote: That one has got a glove box lid, I thought the Kombi didn't have the lid, or was that a US market thing? Also, I thought the seat bulkheads were normally bare metal on them with no black trim, and non-opening 1/4 lights. It could be a standard microbus with the interior panelling stripped out sometime in its life.

Where is that Kombi thread we did awhile back? Showing the panels inside - no headliner, no rubber mat....I bet those were from Canada eh?
Oh yeah!, beauty memory you have there EH?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566565

Now I just have to find the thread from the guy in Poland or somewhere close to that country that had a real deal doubledoor sunroof Kombi, that one was mucho badass!

type2much Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Are the grey painted kombi panels the same material as 1/8" hardboard found at Home Depot?