TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: emblem, script on a truck
westy66 Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:36 pm

My double cab is at the painter, but I don't have a rear emblem on it. There was some Bo do there and only one hole. I have a new emblem ready, but I am wondering how you get at the backside in a truck for the mounting nuts? If I recall right, you can't get your hands back there

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 pm

you are correct. the mount studs are too far into the panel to really get the retainers on them. i found a piece of pipe with the same I/D as the O/D of the retainers.

i welded a washer just deep enough to drop the retainer in there and still be able to push the retainer on it. that made it ez to install and not drop 50 retainers in the box section of the panel

busdaddy Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 pm

I've bored a small hole in the end of a broomstick cut off flat and temporarily taped the retainer to the end for installation on the studs.
As for finding the holes if the engine's out you can sit in the compartment with your head up against the roof and look back to see them pretty good, a strong light is your friend with this job.

jtauxe Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 am

I simply mount emblems and scripts with a dab or two of clear silicone adhesive. That stuff is surprisingly strong (and hard but not impossible to remove), and it does not require any holes in the body, nor does it damage the paint!

westy66 Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:48 pm

ok guys... im getting closer. i found the 4 holes in the engine compartment. i found two different retaining nuts or the script. i dont know what the difference between 3 and 4 mm is. i assume the depth?

thanks again

5, 4mm nuts
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-171-853-939-SET

4, 3mm nuts
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-853-939-SET

busdaddy Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 pm

westy66 wrote: ....... i dont know what the difference between 3 and 4 mm is. .............
Well DUH!, the difference is clearly 1mm :D
I have no way of getting inside the heads of whoever writes those product descriptions for CIP but I'm going to guess that's stud diameter, the bigger ones may be for a watercooled car or a splitty emblem.

Eharrison Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Check Wolfsburg West, they've been my answer to the "I really have no clue but what part number do I need for XXXXX problem"

They've helped me with retaining grommets, key cutting, window seals, you name it.

Sure helps that their warehouse is 5 minutes off of my commute.....