TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Poly bushings were not the cause...
furrylittleotter Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm

... Of my suspension "shock".

I had posted a few times that I suspected the polyurethane bushings in rear suspension were causing a major transfers of road bump noise in my van but that my tyres were old and suspect as well.

I picked up some new tyres and while the suspension is still plenty firm, the major "shocks" from potholes, uneven pavement, etc. are gone.

The tyres had definitely gotten hard.

I went from 235/70r16 Stampede all terrains to Goodyear Wrangler HPs in 215/70R16size.

On the plus side the tires fit perfectly and my manual steering is now a dream. I didn't realize just how bad the tires made the steering until they were gone.

On the negative, I experienced shimmy at 65 to 70 mph. I knew immediately it was low pressure. When I checked it they had it at 32psi. I raised it to 42 and it almost completely eliminated it. I just raised it to 44 and hope all is well for the ride home, otherwise I will have to add weight to the front or buy new tires because these max at 44, which is not ideal but I thought I could get by and needed a bargain.

That being said, other than the shimmy it's like I have a brand new van! I had made tons of mods since buying the old tyres like bushings , etc but never realized how awesome they were on those old clunky tyres.

I continue to take my van from good to better to best bit by bit and this turned out to be a welcome milestone!

Neil2

61Scout Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Right on... it's always a good feeling when the van runs better after some changes. And it's funny how many issues are tire related. Good roads ahead.

-Kevin

insyncro Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Gotta love new shoes :!: