TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2 brake fluid reservoirs? Why?
Lucky Lager Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:00 pm

My buddy is searching for a bug to buy and came across this... and have no idea why there is 2 reservoirs here? He asked me and I don't know. I think the bug was a 58 on an IRS pan.... Not sure if that has anything to do with it....

Im stumped, any ideas?

I told him he would have to pop the gas tank and look.... See if it made sense - The guy selling it doesn't work on them and said he'd ask the shop he takes it too but haven't heard nothing form him yet..

joe56vw Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:13 pm

late model pan would have dual circuit brakes and would need a reservoir with two sections/tubes or two reservoir to feed both circuits

glutamodo Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 pm

IRS pan would be a dual circuit brake system, so probably one reservoir per circuit.

If you just want to eyeball the master cylinder area, I'd probably just remove the driver's side front tire rather than the fuel tank.

Lucky Lager Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Ok Ill call my buddy - is there a way to replace this set up with something else a little more streamlined? Thanks what option are there or just keep the old school reservoirs there...

joe56vw Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Lucky Lager wrote: Ok Ill call my buddy - is there a way to replace this set up with something else a little more streamlined? Thanks what option are there or just keep the old school reservoirs there...

you could get one of these

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611301H

mrmdls Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:30 pm

I've seen some folks add a reservoir on top of the master cylinder. A lot of folks use a vw rabbit reservoir. If you went with a 67 or newer master cylindr you'll end up drilling some holes to mount them.

Lucky Lager Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Cool - do you know the dimensions of that thing... Where would be the best place to mount

Lucky Lager Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:34 pm

I found a pic of its size - thanks Brother!

mrmdls Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:35 pm

I honestly don't know the diminsions. If you do a search here you'll be able to get an idea on using a rabbit's or similiar reservoir. I had to redo a mickey mouse job the PO of my 67 did by installing a later reservoir. He had cut a complete hole the fit the reservoir in, then drilled 2 holes to mount along with using socket's as a spacer. Huge mess!

Lucky Lager Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Omg. Crazy. I had a 59 the PO did some horrible work too.... I understand - thanks!

evlwevl Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Actually that early dual reservoir setup is better than trying to mount a late model dual somewhere which will look out of place or one of the top mount dual reservoir that are a pain in the *** to get to. Just my opinion. I originally tried to use a Tee to split one reservoir to 2 inlets and that is the worst thing you can do.

Lucky Lager Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Gotcha

drscope Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

Why change it? It's there and as long as it works, it's actually a pretty neat way to go. These are period parts that at least match the body era. Can't get much simpler then that.

The dual 67 reservoir from WW requires a bracket. Mounting a 68 and newer reservoir up on the fender also requires a bracket as well as the reservoir, the ones mounted on top of the master cylinder are a PAIN in the neck and usually only get checked after the pedal goes to the floor. Plus they are difficult to get to to fill.

Lucky Lager Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 am

Yeah I agree. I'm just going to order and replace the caps on them.