TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncro project - just starting..
Flotcher Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:39 am

To anyone willing to offer some advice...

I have gathered a bunch of stuff and I think I am ready to take the next step in a Syncro-build project, but wanted some advice first.

I have a running Syncro, with no interior. (Non-locker)
I have another Syncro / weekender / sunroof, with no motor and a severely rusty bottom.
I have a 91 vanagon shell - no glass, no front suspension, no running gear, no doors, no interior, and virtually no rust.
I have 2 sets of doors, besides the ones on the syncros, another slider too.
I have a rear locking differential - unknown condition.

What I want is a Syncro - sunroof - locking diff - weekender.

I think I have everything I need to get started, but I'm afraid of missing something obvious, since these are my first vanagons (I'm an aircooled guy since forever.)

My intention is to cut up the shell, and use it to repair the rust on the running Syncro. Next I would transfer the weekender interior and locking diff. And eventually swap the roof.

Now for the questions -

What should I look for on the running Syncro, to be sure it is a good foundation for the project? It has the typical body rust, and I have an entire donor van to make the body repairs. It looks to me like it is pretty solid underneath, but I am a rookie. I am very afraid of spending a lot of money on body work, only to find I missed something mechanically. It is not inspected, but I have driven it several times locally with no problems. I put a new driveshaft in it and the front end pulled it off a jack and doesn't rumble on the road.

The major body work I plan to have done professionally, but the interior and mechanical I was going to try myself.

Well, if you are still reading, thanks for your time and consideration.

I welcome any comments, warnings, suggestions, etc.

insyncro Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am

Sounds like putting all of the parts on the 91 2wd would allow for the least bodywork and best chance to not have to deal with rust or decay....for a while anyway.

How are your welding skills?

Burley has produced many of the needed parts to build a Syncro and none need to be cut from the donors.

Having the transmission rebuilt as preventative maintenance is highly recommended.
Your VC sounds like it is functioning, that's good :wink:

Waldemar Sikorski Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:35 am

See how much of this you can do by yourself. Something that awaits me (hopefully soon).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349105