TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: where to mount SWF washer squirters
GüteAndTite Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 am

I finally sourced a set of 2 dual squirter windshield washer squirters for my 1958 convertible. I want to mount one on each side of the cowl panel, but cant decide. where should I mount them:

A: under and to the right of the wiper arms

B: just in front of the wiper arms

C: out and to the front of the wiper arms

heres the washers in question:
should I mount them with the decorative washer or without?

glutamodo Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 am

I think with a dual outlet, you should only use one. SWF product sheet from the 1950s shows either two single-outlet jets, or one dual-outlet.

VW's tech bulletin from the mid 50s shows a single dual-outlet jet as well:

GüteAndTite Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 am

glutamodo wrote: I think with a dual outlet, you should only use one. SWF product sheet from the 1950s shows either two single-outlet jets, or one dual-outlet.

VW's tech bulletin from the mid 50s shows a single dual-outlet jet as well:

I like the positioning of the pair of squirters in the top photo in the literature here that you posted. I plan on still mounting both squirters so I end up with 4 jets of water hitting the windshield.

GüteAndTite Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 am

So it looks like up by the wipers close to the windshield is the best OG positioning.

However, I'm not sure if I should mount them on each side of the wipers towards the middle of the car where the right one is exposed and left one is covered by the left wiper as here? :

OR should I mount them both to the right of the wipers so that they are both under the wiper bases as here? :

glutamodo Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 am

That's your choice, of course. Maybe someone who's actually tried it will speak up. I don't recall ever seeing two dual outlet squirters before though.

GüteAndTite Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 am

glutamodo wrote: That's your choice, of course. Maybe someone who's actually tried it will speak up. I don't recall ever seeing two dual outlet squirters before though.

well regardless of dual single squirters or dual double squirters, the look will be the same. which spot do you like glutamodo?

glutamodo Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:11 am

I... don't know. Before drilling holes I think I'd want to mock up the system and see how they perform. I've always had just the one dual outlet on my Bugs and that's been fine for me. Never used the ones you have though, so don't know how well they actually deliver. My guess is that your "C" would probably work the best but I'm not sure.

VOLKSWAGNUT Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 am

Its really up to you.. Bret

Food for thought..
If you want them to be "seen" then placing either under the arms is pretty much useless holes in the body..

If you want good function too.... think about spray pattern and operation.
Dont mount them too close the wiper linkage where the hoses may get tangled or cut or too close to the arms where they spray into the arms.

I myself.. prefer to eliminate washers, and persoanlly one of those lil' aliens in the center is the best "look" with using the trim washer of course.

Options for you're dual idea, .. IMO Out in front of each wiper is the more symmetrical "look". B over C for function C over B for look.

Envious Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:36 pm

I have the same delema. I'm installing a center mount antenna so one jet in the middle isn't an option.

I'll let you drill the holes first :)

dutch1967 Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Cool find, I would fit with the washer, but it's what you prefer..

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 pm

:lol:

Love this movie... Oh and here are some jets mounted too!