TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering box 67 bug use grease or gear oil
mrmdls Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Wondering about what is the proper lubrication for a 67 steering box. My understanding is 65 and later uses grease, and earlier steering boxes use 90w gear oil. However, I have seen posts on both early and late bugs, say they use either one or the other.

andk5591 Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 am

There was a recent post on this and you pretty much got every option out there listed. Gear oil, grease, moly grease, a mix and a couple other things. I personally have been using universal grease (from my grease gun) lately. If you are driving your car in the winter though, might be a little touqh steering with grease. I don't think its really critical as long as its lubed, but thats just my humble opinion.

KTPhil Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 am

The search threads will tell you this, but the later style with two plastic plugs uses grease (I use moly EP grease), while the early (single metal fill plug) uses oil. Some use grease in the earlies for less leaking, and there seems to be no reported problem doing so.

mrmdls Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks guy's for the clarifcation, and also for the difference between the 2 types of steering boxes. That could possibly make a difference when I get a chance to look at it, as my 67 had been frankensteined so much in the past, and I've learned not to accept anything at face value on it.