TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help! WW oil shocks or Boge for a stock 1966 Beetle
User Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 am

Putting Boge on the rear.

Need to buy the shocks for the front.

Boge with the install kit = $ 60.90

WWest standard oil shock = $24.95

Is there any difference performance/ride.

Thanks

drscope Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Personally I'd go with the WW shock.

panicman Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:58 am

Not so fast!

I am tackling this soon, and would like to know what the merits are of the WW shocks over the Boges.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:17 am

panicman wrote: and would like to know what the merits are of the WW shocks over the Boges.

About $35.95 saved.
Unless you're going road racing.. cheap oil shocks work quite well on these tin beaters.

For stock suspensions, oil shocks from the local flaps or Napa are just as good... no shipping charges too!
If you want a little more aggressive shock, go for gas charged, but ride quality suffers.
Just my .02..

panicman Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:37 am

Thank you; with that kind of endorsement, I was hoping to hear they had equal or better ride and handling at a lower cost.

No road racing, just after a smooth stock ride. Thanks again!

mrmdls Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 am

I just installed KYB Excel-G shocks on the front. Nice and smooth ride. The only issue I experienced was the spacer from the old shocks had rusted on the bottom mount, and were seperated from the old shocks. Ended up using a screwdriver to pry them open, and free them.

neil68 Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 pm

The quality of Boge shock absorbers is very good. I installed front Boge's over 10 years ago (to replace the stock Fichtel & Sachs) and the Boge's are still working great with no leaks. It's also considered an OEM part if you're looking for originality.

Bugugly Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:48 pm

My Napa oil shocks work well on my 67