TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: electric fuel pump opinion
DrKeck Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

So after messing with my fuel pump again today I cracked the fuel pump block. I can't seem to get the pump below 5.5 psi even after grinding down my push rod and putting 10 gaskets under it. Even after running it for a month or so its still 5.5 psi. I'm debating on just switching over to an electric fuel pump. I have a new Facet fuel pump sitting in my garage right now. I just wanted to see if people have good experience with there electric fuel pump. im running a 1600 with dual carbs and its running to rich right now with 6psi that my spark plugs are black and I have soot around my exhaust pipes. im just getting tired or trying to get my fuel pump pressure down that im about to give up lol. This is my daily driver M-F so I need something that is reliable. any input would be wonderful.

aircoolnut Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Did you set the float levels in your carbs? An incorrect float level can cause them to run rich and they are seldom correct out of the box.

carcrazed Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 pm

I have been using an electric fuel pump that mounts right where your stock one goes. Other than having to couple that with a fuel pressure regulator...I have had no problems.

johnnypan Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 pm

So putting 10 gaskets didn't work? Perhaps your gauge isn't accurate at pressures that low..but wait,how did you put that?.oh yeah,"lets not try that"...huh..well lookie here

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rotary-Electric-Fuel-Pump-3-25-psi-7mm-Fittings-p/rotary.htm

and here

http://www.speedyjim.net/schem/pump.gif

that facet you have needs to be regulated to provide a constant 3.5 psi. The cheapie fuel regulators at PepBoys are junk so rotary is the way to go.

AZChips Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:54 pm

With my recent acquisition of a 58 I have just gone through replacing my Facet fuel pump with a Carter that runs at 4psi max, and also added a a regulator that is adjustable from 1-4psi, and comes set at 3psi.

I learned through my own research that the electric fuel pump "pushes" and doesn't "pull", so it needs to be installed as close to the fuel tank as possible, not in the rear.

So far my combo is working excellent... Good luck!

I didn't necessarily buy from these sources on the links, but these are the two items I did get. If you want to keep the Facet, I suspect the regulator below would be a great addition. My Facet was giving me really erratic PSI results, where as the Carter was nice and accurate sitting at 4psi before the regulator. Oh, and you want to install the regulator as close to the carbs as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZX92K/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick+Fuel/793/30-804/10002/...fgoddRoASw

DrKeck Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 pm

I know how to install the fuel pump, just curious if the people that are running an electric fuel pump are happy with the switch to an electric fuel pump?

johnnypan Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 pm

jonathonkeck wrote: I know how to install the fuel pump, just curious if the people that are running an electric fuel pump are happy with the switch to an electric fuel pump?

No,I recommend then cause I think they look cool :roll:

bluebus86 Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 pm

if you go electric, install a shut off to prevent the pump from running in event the motor stops with ignition on, such a in a crash or if the ignition was left on accidently when parked.

for a stock motor, I say go with a stock mechanical pump. save the electric ones for bigger motors and such that need them.

Kiptere Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm running the Carter electric pump. No problems. It just purrs away nicely.

grandpa pete Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

I have a part number for a carter fuel pump p/n og28b 504...3.5psi..I understand this pump does NOT need a separate pressure regulator . Does anyone know the cost of this unit and where would I get one ?

youngnstudly Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 pm

grandpa pete wrote: I have a part number for a carter fuel pump p/n og28b 504...3.5psi..I understand this pump does NOT need a separate pressure regulator . Does anyone know the cost of this unit and where would I get one ?

I bought one internally regulated Carter pump from each of the suppliers below with great results. I don't know anything about the part number you listed, but both of these pumps are the "standard" Carter electric pumps that the VW people crowd with their dual carbs when around 3.5 PSI is needed. If memory serves me, the instructions, the items included, and possibly even the packaging is identical between both companies. Great little pump if you choose to go electric.

My first choice:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rotary-Electric-Fuel-Pump-3-25-psi-7mm-Fittings-p/rotary.htm

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3193

Andy

fluxcap Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:52 am

youngnstudly wrote: grandpa pete wrote: I have a part number for a carter fuel pump p/n og28b 504...3.5psi..I understand this pump does NOT need a separate pressure regulator . Does anyone know the cost of this unit and where would I get one ?

I bought one internally regulated Carter pump from each of the suppliers below with great results. I don't know anything about the part number you listed, but both of these pumps are the "standard" Carter electric pumps that the VW people crowd with their dual carbs when around 3.5 PSI is needed. If memory serves me, the instructions, the items included, and possibly even the packaging is identical between both companies. Great little pump if you choose to go electric.

My first choice:

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3193

Andy

Yeah, I have no idea what that part number goes to, but P60504 is the one you want. I'm all for supporting the VW parts suppliers when they offer competitive prices, but amazon has it for $20 less, so that's where I got both of mine. It's been a great pump. (same one AZChips linked to above)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZX92K/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VWCOOL Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 am

What is the problem/condition you are attempting to fix?
Flooding at idle?
Lack of fuel at full-throttle? (dry float bowl)

I have electric pumps (Facet) on each of my comp cars... One has Kadrons and one has Webers and they run fine without a pressure regulator.

Joel Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 am

carcrazed wrote: I have been using an electric fuel pump that mounts right where your stock one goes. Other than having to couple that with a fuel pressure regulator...I have had no problems.

If by stock one you mean mechanical on the engine, that is about the worst place you could put an electric pump.
As someone else already said it needs to be up the front under the fuel tank.

It will work for a while there but don't expect a long life from it.

drscope Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 am

I think you need to figure out what your current problem is before you move on to something more complicted.

You can't get any simpler then the stock pump.

Perhaps you have the wrong pump, wrong push rod, or other problem causing your pressure issues. But if pressure issues are really your problem, why complicate that with an electric pump, wires, switches and more pressure regulation troubles?

DrKeck Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 am

drscope wrote: I think you need to figure out what your current problem is before you move on to something more complicted.

Perhaps you have the wrong pump, wrong push rod, or other problem causing your pressure issues. But if pressure issues are really your problem, why complicate that with an electric pump, wires, switches and more pressure regulation troubles?

really not sure what to check next, I have checked everything I can think of. New fuel lines, carb is fine, push rod is correct. fuel filter is new. added a bunch of gaskets and the PSI just sits at 5.5-6. just getting tired of trying to fix it. car starts fine and runs fine but its just running rich. the pump is an aftermarket pump from jbugs and I do want to keep ordering new pumps or expensive rebuilt ones. so the only solution is to run an electric pump and see if that works. hence the question about, if people like there electric fuel pump.

Max Welton Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 am

Well then, yes, we do seem to like our electric pumps.

Max

bluebus86 Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 am

jonathonkeck wrote: drscope wrote: I think you need to figure out what your current problem is before you move on to something more complicted.

really not sure what to check next, I have checked everything I can think of. New fuel lines, carb is fine, push rod is correct. fuel filter is new. added a bunch of gaskets and the PSI just sits at 5.5-6. just getting tired of trying to fix it. car starts fine and runs fine but its just running rich. the pump is an aftermarket pump from jbugs and I do want to keep ordering new pumps or expensive rebuilt ones. so the only solution is to run an electric pump and see if that works. hence the question about, if people like there electric fuel pump.

Have you tried a different mechanical pump, different brand or maybe an old used one that is known good? I would not ditch the stock set up for this problem. it could be you have a poorly made aftermarket pump or a poorly done rebuild with poorly made aftermarket parts.

do you have a manual that shows how to measure pushrod stroke and stick out length? if that checks out fine, then suspect the pump you are trying to install is faulty. in which case get a different mechanical pump.