TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Master Cylinder Upgrade
Big Jake Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Hello, I finally started my '64 project. Im looking for a master cylinder upgrade. As of right now I do not have one and have seen some with the reservoir attached. I tried searching and had no luck. Any help would be great, Thanks

Cerot Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:17 pm

I just did the swap, all you really need is a master cylinder from a 68+ beetle, a reservoir, and 2 new stoplight switches. I got the reservoir from CIP1, you just pop the fill nipples off the new MC and stick the reservoir through the rubber gaskets. I was able to bend my old metal lines to fit the new MC, all but the one for the driver side front wheel which required a new line. Easy, just make sure you have the shoes out to full lock on all the wheels before you bleed or you will be bleeding for days.

Big Jake Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 pm

sounds good, ill give it a try. Thank You

Big Jake Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:55 pm

so the reservoir for the 68 will fit directly into the MC?

Cerot wrote: I just did the swap, all you really need is a master cylinder from a 68+ beetle, a reservoir, and 2 new stoplight switches. I got the reservoir from CIP1, you just pop the fill nipples off the new MC and stick the reservoir through the rubber gaskets. I was able to bend my old metal lines to fit the new MC, all but the one for the driver side front wheel which required a new line. Easy, just make sure you have the shoes out to full lock on all the wheels before you bleed or you will be bleeding for days.

Zundfolge1432 Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 pm

No you'll need to locate the reservoir to gravity feed the master cylinder. Look at a 67 bug and if you can obtain that reservoir and dual feed lines, it makes for the cleanest most OG looking install. Some have installed Volvo cylinders with reservoir built in but in my opinion who wants to crawl under the car to fill and service not to mention it looks like shit

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:42 am

Search dual master as this topic is asked often.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: Dual master cylinder..

Hint.. a snap in master mounted reservoir is the easiest.. (yes even the EMPI one)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200