TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Go Westy AT Cooler
VwDubber Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Quick question..
Has anyone installed the GoWesty Auto Trans Cooler?

Recently got one and I'm confused.

In the instructions it says that the output Port of the Trans is the Lower or Bottom Port of the Trans, but I tought that it was the Upper Port?

With the old Trans Cooler removed I had someone crank the engine and the trans fluid shot out of the Top Upper Port of the Trans..

But when I finished installing New GoWesty Cooler and topped the trans off with Fluid the New Trans Cooler was making a buzzing like sound "thinking trans Pump" so I quickly shut her down.

So which Port is the Out and which is the Input Ports? :?

Your Thoughts..

madspaniard Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Bottom send, top return

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579828&highlight=cooler

kourt Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Keep in mind that the GW transmission cooler can have the effect of amplifying the transmission fluid pump sound. When you install that cooler you have to expect some change in the expected operating noise of the vehicle.

kourt

IdahoDoug Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Confused. Send and return could be construed two different ways. Send TO the cooler, or send TO the transmission. The OP seems to have settled that the upper port is the output from the transmission to the cooler. So is he correct that the top port is the output of fluid pumped out of the the transmission? Thanks.

DougM

dubbified Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:50 am

I noticed mine buzzing.. and double checked it.. the video in the gw install article shows it mounted.. yes its two pictures, but you can clearly see the orientation of which hose goes where..

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4481

madspaniard Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:15 am

IdahoDoug wrote: Confused. Send and return could be construed two different ways. Send TO the cooler, or send TO the transmission. The OP seems to have settled that the upper port is the output from the transmission to the cooler. So is he correct that the top port is the output of fluid pumped out of the the transmission? Thanks.

DougM

Bottom fitting is the ATF pressure outlet, top fitting is the inlet/return.
The ATF pump pulls from the sump (bottom) and pushes to the center (top) out to the TC. With the cooler disconnected, the bottom fitting in the transmission should be shooting out ATF.