TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: If you have a Retro Sound stereo, how did you secure it? Page: 1, 2  Next
chabanais Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:58 pm

I got it, put it together, but can't see a secure method of attaching it firmly in the dashboard.

Normally the stereo has metal tabs you bend to secure it. This comes with a metal "strap" however I don't see how to bolt it into the dash.

How did you do yours?

skills@eurocarsplus Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:11 am

there are a few ways to do it...

you could use the screw hole in the dash, between the center vents (it was used to hold the OE speaker)

or

make a 'kick stand' of sorts that uses the ash tray screw as a mount point. if you do that, you will need to ditch the sheet metal screw and use a small nut/bolt

imho, those are the most non invasive ways to do it

notchboy Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am

That thing is tiny :shock: Looks like some two way tape would do?

chabanais Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 am

It's 99% solid state electronics. Amazing how small they can be when there is no CD player.

I found some mounting brackets I think I can use those. If I can get photos, I will. I am going to try and hook it up tomorrow. Took about 30 minutes to assemble it.

airschooled Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:43 am

The included mounts work perfectly in a bay window bus. The padded dash has a metal frame behind it, and the retro sound clamps go behind the frame and the retro sound faceplate goes in front of the padded dash.

airschooled Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 am

I also used blue loctite on the jam nuts, since they don't seem to want to stay put during install. I removed them a few months later for fun and they were still holding strong. Only came loose with a wrench.

The radio comes with a strap to support the rear of the head unit. I use mine because I go off-road every chance I get. If I had a bus that only saw pavement, the front mounts are so good the rear strap wouldn't be necessary.

chabanais Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks I did find those brackets. I was concerned the plastic faceplate would crack from bouncing around. How did you anchor the stereo to the back?

airschooled Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm

chabanais wrote: How did you anchor the stereo to the back?

I had (I think) a PO hole above the washer motor. Used a nylon nut and bolt through the hole (stock speaker grill holes work too) to grab one end of the included strap, the other end goes on the head unit. FWIW I painted the top of the nut to match the dash color too.

chabanais Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for the help. I got it installed. The two screw down brackets work pretty well but I built a support on the back top of my ashtray bracket that supports the back of the unit.

Here's a photo:

airschooled Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 pm

chabanais wrote:

Here's a photo:

[img]

Niiiice.

I was wondering why you chose the "deluxe" trim faceplate, but seeing it with your gages makes sense. I'm going to start drooling if you have the deluxe window rubber all around too :twisted:

chabanais Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Deluxe window trim, yes. Anything shiny I can find:

Thanks for your help on the radio install.

airschooled Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 pm

chabanais wrote: Anything shiny I can find:

You NEED these then.

http://www.justkampers.com/billet-aluminium-heater-lever.html

chabanais Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I saw those!

The anodized ones are nice, too.

You have a Vintage Speed exhaust!

Nice, mine is on order.

Do you like yours?

airschooled Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 pm

chabanais wrote: I saw those!

The anodized ones are nice, too.

You have a Vintage Speed exhaust!

Nice, mine is on order.

Do you like yours?

pm sent

obnoxiousblue Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:38 am

Was this thing worth the money? I have a working stereo at current, but removed two PO mounted door speakers since I got the new panels. I plan on relocating a set of speakers to the back, and figured now is the time to replace. One thing leads to the next and I'm thinking a retrosound would look nice in the dash.

How has yours been?

airschooled Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:55 am

obnoxiousblue wrote: Was this thing worth the money? I have a working stereo at current, but removed two PO mounted door speakers since I got the new panels. I plan on relocating a set of speakers to the back, and figured now is the time to replace. One thing leads to the next and I'm thinking a retrosound would look nice in the dash.

How has yours been?

To me, yes. But we all use our buses differently. I cherish the function of my 1960s technology, and my old pioneer radio was like talking to someone with a bad unibrow. Now my system is a total sleeper- sounds great (because of the amp and speakers, not the RS,) but it looks like it came with the bus.

Marya Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:15 pm

I just ordered the Retro Sound model 2. I figured it would be nice to control the stereo from a table outside via iPhone while camping - or even to e.g. turn it off from bed on a cold night - so went for the bluetooth model. Nervous about it getting stolen but hopefully most thieves would see and assume worthless.

Trying to find something that will fit in the original in-dash single speaker. Retro Sound sells some that look like great improvements but not for a bus newer than '68. :(

chabanais Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:29 pm

The Bluetooth capability is good. I use Pandora with mine. Still enjoying my system and it does look stock.

vwwestyman Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:08 am

I got a RetroSound radio and got it put together last night.

I did a preliminary install in my '73. The way the shafts are designed, there are three functions.

Pushing the knob in (turn it on and off, work through menus), turning the knob (IE, adjusting the volume) and turning the "dial" (other functions).

They are connected to either the inner shaft, or outer shaft.

All functions work find if the knobs are not connected. I can turn the inner shaft independent of the outer and all that and control everything fine.

The problem I'm having is that when I install the knobs, they are too tight or something and if you turn one, it turns the other and this confuses the controls of the radio.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Brian Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:10 pm

I have the same problem. I think I got it by cutting the rubber down and then using one of the hard plastic bushings.

Face Plate > Inner Knob > Bushing > Rubber > Outer Knob

Thing is a bitch to get right.