TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pls Help me figure out what I am looking at
Devin86 Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi all I am new here and would like a little help I have previously owned a 73 and 74 Type 181 and am now looking for a bug to customize for my wife I have found this locally owner wants 1500 not negotiable will need floor plans if it might be worth it I will go back down and look but only had about 5 min today. Mainly looking for info about year and rust on lower body and price.
Thanks
Devin

grandpa pete Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:30 pm

63 hood crest ?....65 up trunk lid with pushbutton

mrmdls Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Looking at your pictures, I think you're looking at beside floor pans, having the heat channels replaced, along with as a minimum maybe an inch or 2 of the rear quarter panel being patched. If you're able to weld, you'll be able to keep the cost down, if you have a shop do the welding, it can get a little pricey. I also, think it might be a 62 or 63.

*Darren Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:41 pm

snowflake tail lights. But doesn't really mean much, get a vin# and even then 58? 64? $1500, it really doesn't matter - you need to make an assessment of what needs to be done, can you do it (or have it done) and how much do you think you are going to be into it and can you afford that. That's how I always look at it. Does it really matter if you get the car for $500 and it's gonna take another $8k to make it close to right and you only have $4k? Stuff adds up real fast, engine, brake system, interior, metal work, paint, wheels & tires, cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching.

Joel Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Its got a lot of mixed parts on but its late 50s early 60s.

Got the icepick door handles,4 tab hood, snow flake lights and no oh shit handle on the dash but a later decklid and 66-67ish wheels.

$1500 is a lot for how much rust is in it and for all the rust you can see there will be more hidden.

joe56vw Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Joel wrote: Its got a lot of mixed parts on but its late 50s early 60s.

Got the icepick door handles,4 tab hood, snow flake lights and no oh shit handle on the dash but a later decklid and 66-67ish wheels.

$1500 is a lot for how much rust is in it and for all the rust you can see there will be more hidden.

it's just the latch that is later the decklid itself is different after '64 when they switch to the new lic. plate light overhang

VWLooseNuts Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:41 pm

It's looks to be a 58-60 Just remember for all the rust you can see there half as much rust you can't see. If it's complete and the heater channels are not bad I would say $1500 is not horrible for a 58-60. If the heater channels need replace your looking to spend a few dollars redoing them.

williamM Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 pm

SO- looks like the question is "How much do you like your wife?" :oops:

mrmdls Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Looking at the pictures again, after checking a little on the hood crest. 63 would be out as that would be the year that the hood crest was discontinued. I'm still trying to make out if it is a 4 tab hood. I can see 3 holes clearly, but I'm not a real good photo detective. On the left door, it looks like it would have a lock in the icepick handle (can't really see if the right does). If the icepick handle has locks, that would make it a later icepick handle.

Joel Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 pm

joe56vw wrote: Joel wrote: Its got a lot of mixed parts on but its late 50s early 60s.

it's just the latch that is later the decklid itself is different after '64 when they switch to the new lic. plate light overhang

You can't just fit a late latch on an early decklid without surgery.....
Anyway if you look close at that decklid you can see it has the central rib of a 64+ decklid without the flares at the bttom of the rib.
It just has an early narrow light housing fitted which is what is confusing some people obviously

The proper pre 64 narrow light ones the rib flares outwards beside the light housing.

They never made a narrow light housing one with a push button latch and you can just swap the latch as the T handle uses round holes, push button are square.

mrmdls Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm

A little more detective work. 61 was first year of the grab handle. Where there is no grab handle that would also narrow it down to 58-60 so VWLooseNuts would be the closest to the actual year of the vehicle. Also, I checked on my thinking of only later icepick handles haveing locks, and I believe I was mistaken. It would depend on whether there is a button. Still looking into that

panicman Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 pm

58 or 59. I say that based on the ice pick door handles and hood crest. 60-early 63 would be the black background hood crest, and the start of the square button door handle. Check for the late 'batwing' steering wheel, and headlight wiring routed in the spare tire area. Hard to say from those pics, but there should also be a pronounced flare at the front fenders where they attach to the running boards, and I think metal wiring conduits for the headlights wires into the buckets.

That car looks pretty complete, and is worth saving, but the rust is considerable. It won't be an easy restoration.