TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 rear clip swap
errrik89 Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:29 pm

So I got my hands on a 1967 RHD Notchback. I knew it needed some body work, specifically in the engine bay (there had been a fire at one time.) A lot of rust, and upon taking it apart & finding things like the bumper mounts have rusted away, I think the best solution will be to replace much of the rear with a new clip.
My question is: Will a Fast back clip be interchangeable? Locating a Notchback will be pretty difficult here in the USA I'm guessing.

Thank you

Suesanctuary Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Squarebacks seem to be the most prevalent and preferred here in the US. Most of the guys here seem to hate Fastbacks, my personal favorite. They'll gladly encourage you to "sacrifice" a Fasty. Even though Notchbacks were a "gray market" car, there are a lot more of them in the USA than you think. Yours being a right hand drive Notch, in the USA, is a probably more of a rarity.

As to your question, a Fastback rear clip isn't an easy direct swap, and won't give you everything you want. Some parts can be used with modification and fab work. Like bumper mounts are the same, but a Notch is narrower, so they'd need relocating.

Before I get in over my head, I'll leave you to the metal workers and guys who know what bits are interchangable here....

Bobnotch Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Sue is right on target. The rear load floor will need to be trimmed (Square or Fastback) to fit a Notch. The bumper mounts are similar, but the metal holding them will be different shaped.

Post up some pic, so we can see what you're dealing with.

Nate M. Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Notchs have completely different fresh air vents compared to FB and SB. It'll be a real challenge to graft in a clip from one of those for that reason. . .

errrik89 Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 pm

First of all, thank you for the replies. I'm pretty green coming into the VW world. This whole project will be a new undertaking for me.
I'll post some pics of the damaged area.

errrik89 Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Nate M. Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm

If it were my car, I'd just sent it out to be bead blasted and fix whatever rust is there. Other than the rear vents behind the rear window, absolutely none of that metal will ever be seen once it's put back together.

A SB or FB rear clip will do you no god fixing that. A Notch is a totally different clip; TOTALLY different.

Clatter Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

X2 on the blasting.
That will tell you what you have to work with.

it also seems to me from just looking at the pics that you could make up some patch pieces,
or get donor metal from another car,
And fix those holes and be on your way.

A whole clip seems like overkill.

Unless the whole back end got warped from the heat,
or all of the metal is paper-thin and disappears when blasted...

Bobnotch Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:59 am

Clatter wrote: X2 on the blasting.
That will tell you what you have to work with.

it also seems to me from just looking at the pics that you could make up some patch pieces,
or get donor metal from another car,
And fix those holes and be on your way.

A whole clip seems like overkill.

Unless the whole back end got warped from the heat,
or all of the metal is paper-thin and disappears when blasted...

I agree 100% with Nate and Clatter, blast that baby, and make up some patch panels for the rust (what you have showing is semi-normal).

I'd finish pulling it all apart, and look for more rust than just what you see in the rear. Then have it all blasted, and seal it in epoxy primer. Then go from there.

A Fastback or Square won't give you the patch pieces you're going to need (you'll have to fab them up), and with a good blasting, you might find that "clipping" the rear will be overkill for that car (I personally wouldn't clip it). You can look thru the links in my signature (or my Notch gallery), and see what kind of rust I've dealt with on these cars. Some of it common, and some of it isn't. It just depends on how the car was cared for. :roll:
This is just my take on it, and I really don't see a need for clipping. Blasting yes, but I'd wait to see how many other spots need it too.

Erik G Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am

errrik, what part of nothern california are you in?

errrik89 Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it! I will keep on taking the whole car down & have it blasted to see where I'm at. Like I said, I'm pretty new to VWs and this level of rust. It is good to hear that this isn't totally abnormal.

@Erik G, I'm about 30 Min East of Sacramento...why, are you in N. CA too?