TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 66 build. No idea what i'm doing thread
tallkyle Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:41 am

I've been trolling this site for awhile now and I figured it's time to share what I have been working on.

This is my first VW. I've been on the search for some time and I finally found a project I wanted to tackle. I bought this 66 about 3 weeks ago. The old owner had the car for 17 years and did a resto 15 years ago. The car looked OK for what it was and the pan was solid. The body looked good from what I saw, so I bought it.

This is how I found the car. He said it sat like this for like 7 years...

I only had a single car trailer so we lifted it back on the pan so I can get it home. What a NIGHTMARE!!

When I showed photos of the car to a few of my buddies, they thought it was in primer... I washed it and it shined pretty damn well.

So my next stage was to start the heater channel replacement. He gave me old channels that were cut off a clean bug.

I raised the body off using our lift.

tallkyle Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 am

so here is kind of where I am at now.

I ran into a sticky as I started prepping the body for the repair.

I found the 1/4's stuffed with fiberglass and bondo... I got super bummed and my girlfriend told me to even turn it into a garden planter at her parents!!! haha

I wanted to prove people wrong so I ordered all the sheet metal I needed to fix this the correct way. I have never done body work before but it was something I have always wanted to learn.

So I started to hack all the crap out of it.

The 1/4s were not even that bad but I had to fix it.

Everything is fitting pretty well for how cheap the panels were. I used all panels from wolfsburg.

Last night I rested the body back on the pan and checked fitment. I am pretty happy with it so far and hopefully this weekend I can start tacking stuff back together.

I am going to paint the car myself as well while I am at it. Another thing I have always wanted to learn.

Well here is my first post on the Samba, hopefully many more.

Enjoy, I hope. haha

RLFD213 Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:10 am

Looks good. Keep the posts coming and take your time. It looks like you have a good foundation to start from

sportin-wood Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Looks like you're well on your way. The work is looking good!

grandpa pete Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 pm

The 1966 Beetle Forum ; has lots of info for you