TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Porsche 944 Rear Studs?
donbarnes Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 am

I'm looking to upgrade the rear brakes on my rail to disc because of my new 2.5 Suby conversion, and I have access to a set of 944 trailing arms (non-aluminum). My question is whether there's any easy and reliable way to change those large M14 studs down to M12 (which I can get shank style lug nuts for), or can I redrill them between the Porsche studs for a different 5-bolt pattern? I have nearly new Cragar Unilug wheels and not wanting to get away from them, thanks.. I've already previously converted the rears to T3 drums with 5-on-4.5 bolt pattern and the CB Performance T3 heavy duty hubs, but when I went to a Wilwood tandem master cylinder I think my mc bore is too big and its not stopping very well..

DWP Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Just do a search for m14 to m12 studs.
http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aft...rs-p-17043

the biggesti problem will be the parking brake if you use one. You can get custom cables fron Push Pull.com

Dave

donbarnes Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:41 pm

I dont anticipate the e-brake cable to be much of an issue, this is a rail and I have a custom setup that uses an e-brake handle on the left side of the drivers seat (oddly enough its similar to the 944 setup), and it only goes to the drivers side rear wheel, so should be pretty simple to adapt...But I think I will have to re-drill the studs anyway because my wheels will accept up to a 5-on-5inch bolt pattern and the Porsche pattern comes out to something like 5-on-5.12... I saw a post somewhere though that says my T3 hubs that I already have on there are very similar to the Porsche 944 hub, so that may be an easy adapt also...Did I see on another post somewhere that I will no longer need my residual pressure valve going to the rear brakes if I change to rear discs?

Dale M. Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:50 pm

You can get about any size stud you want....

https://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/2006_hardware.htm

Section 10, starting about page 160 ...

You can order them by Dorman part number through places like "rockauto.com"... Pricing will be better than any "specialty shops"...

Dale

donbarnes Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:41 am

I have figured out that a 1/2-20 stud from a late 90s Jeep Cherokee fits the Porsche hub by slightly enlarging the original stud hole and pressing the Jeep stud in...