TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: DIY Tools - VW460 and flipped spindles
grey60 Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am

Hi all,

I think I need to make a VW460, the three-piece tool used to press kingpins apart.

Couple questions:

1) Can the tool be used with flipped spindles? Mine are stock pre-63, but flipped.

2) Anyone have a dimensional drawing or marked-up photo with specs?

:idea:

OR INSTEAD of VW460, I am wondering if I risk damaging my spindles if I do something like -- Put 1" steel rods through link pin holes so a few inches stick out either side, then, put a couple port-a-power mini jacks between the rods on either side and use a port-a-power to push the kingpin apart …

My concern is that by pressing the kingpin apart, rather than use the spindle's 'shoulders' to bear the weight -- see photo example, with small part of the tool supporting 'shoulders' -- I could inadvertently bend the spindle.

I'm trying to make progress with with rebuilding my front end this week. I have stuff for the port-a-power idea on-hand, but I need to source 1/2" steel locally somewhere if I'm going to weld-up a VW460-ish device.

Thanks for looking.

Ref:

campingbox Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm

grey60 wrote: VW460

1) Can the tool be used with flipped spindles? Mine are stock pre-63, but flipped.

No. The lower horseshoe will not work to disassemble dropped spindles.

grey60 Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

campingbox wrote: grey60 wrote: VW460

Is there a different tool or another workaround you know of?

Thanks

campingbox Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 pm

grey60 wrote: campingbox wrote: grey60 wrote: VW460

Is there a different tool or another workaround you know of?

Thanks

I use a very similar tool with some revisions. It works for me. When you look at one you'll figure it out easy enough, or find another solution that works for you.