TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pros of manual steering in syncro Page: 1, 2  Next
dkoesyncro Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 pm

I am building my syncro and have been mulling over the steering; PS or manual? I have noticed a few posts similar to the subject and like that the manual has a sharper turning radius (2wd only?) It'd be nice in the syncro. No more hydro lines and ATF.

The local wrecker has an 84' in the yard w/ manual steering. Do all I need is the rack? I am going to use G60 brakes so I keep my PS knuckles; "correct"!
Thats what I got from this archive https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...tEhTeR3N1g

TIA,
Dillon

Jake de Villiers Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:23 pm

dillonkoester wrote: I am building my syncro and have been mulling over the steering; PS or manual? I have noticed a few posts similar to the subject and like that the manual has a sharper turning radius (2wd only?) It'd be nice in the syncro. No more hydro lines and ATF.

The local wrecker has an 84' in the yard w/ manual steering. Do all I need is the rack? I am going to use G60 brakes so I keep my PS knuckles; "correct"!
Thats what I got from this archive https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...tEhTeR3N1g

TIA,
Dillon

You'll need both the rack and the jackshaft from the bottom of the steering column to the rack - its a lot longer for manual steering.

geo_tonz Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 am

My experience with 2wd power and manual steering is the difference in turning radius is pretty much unoticable, while the difference in steering effort is huge! I would say most of the time I cut a tighter line in the power steering rig because it's so much easier to go lock-to-lock while I have to be very deliberate in cranking my manual over enough to get to lock. Now that I have power I would never consider coverting to manual.

Steve M. Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 am

if you do, do not forget the get the steering wheel. It is a larger diameter to help the effort to turn it.
Also, mount shock absorbers on the steering tie rod to absorb the shock of hitting rock and making the wheel spin really fast and breaking your fingers.
Keep the power steering you'll be happy you did.

Love My Westy Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 am

Fewer parts to fix and replace, no belts to break or rob horsepower, lighter weight, the tighter turning radius only makes a difference in a really tight spot. Not much difference cruising on the highway. It's a personal preference thing.

insyncro Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 am

With advanced, converted and upgraded Syncro vans, manual steering would be a bummer.

hans j Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22 am

No issues with mine. It was originally a P/S car but was converted to manual before I got it. I'm guessing because the P/S lines rusted out.

I'm happy to be rid of another fluid to leak in my car as well as not having another pulley to turn. I still have the small steering wheel, a slightly stiff VC (but doesn't bind in turns), stock P/S knuckles, and 215/75-15 BFG AT tires. I'm used to it though, and while I guess it's stiff pulling into tight parking places, it has not been an issue off road.

But when someone used to driving a P/S van gets in mine, they think their arms are going to fall off because they are actually using them to steer...

DAV!D Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

My 2wd westy has manual steering and I have 225 70 16 tires on it and it's really not hard to steer. Once you are moving it's completely un noticeable but might be more effort in certain situations off road if you have to work the steering wheel a lot at slow speeds.

insyncro Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 am

A van, offroad, with power steering will out perform one without in my experiences.

hans j Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 am

insyncro wrote: A van, offroad, with power steering will out perform one without in my experiences.

I will happily follow a P/S van anywhere on the planet. It might be more comfortable for the driver, but the performance of the van isn't fully dependent on parts ;)

T3 Pilot Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 am

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel....... :!:

danbar Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Manual steering is much better for arm fitness in the long run. I have a manual steering syncro and a PS Carat. Living in the city I can say I'd rather parralel park the PS van any day.

dkoesyncro Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 pm

It just seemed that you'd have more dexterity w/ manual steering....The vans already set up w/ power steering; I know the wife would prefer I keep it in.

I just wanted some opinions- This project can go on for ever if I let it and the seasons here, wish I were syncro'ing instead of wrenching.

Thanks

whynotvw Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:47 pm

My 1987 Syncro weekender was manual steering. I just changed it to power steering. I drove with the manual steering for about 4 years. Its been two weeks since I installed the power steering. My goodness what a difference. I really hated the manual steering every time I had to park the rig. Thank God I have a decoupler. When coupled and trying to park its even worst. I wish I would've changed it earlier. So much more pleasure to drive. I will never go back. Sure it might leak after 100k miles but thats perfectly fine with me. I will gladly pay for another P/s rack.

Manual steering really sucks compare to P/S. Sorry manual steering people, once you drive P/S you will never go back.

PDXSyncro Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Hello,
I just came across this thread and am wondering what's needed to change from manual steering to P/S? I have an 87 syncro doka from Europe (DJ type).
Cheers,
Glen

danbar Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the electric power steering setup being sold in Europe? Seems like a much easier upgrade. http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html

syncrodoka Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:48 pm

I am having PS problems right now and the truck went from very useful and anybody can drive to only I can drive it and mildly useful as a result. The power consumption difference is minor while the driveability is much more noticeable.

BTW i bought a late model 2wd that the PO pulled the PS pump and hoses due to wanting the simplicity and didn't want the power loss from the pump. The first thing that i fixed was the PS system and the van became easy to drive by anybody and it is enjoyed much more to this day.

PDXSyncro Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:27 pm

danbar wrote: I'm wondering if anyone has tried the electric power steering setup being sold in Europe? Seems like a much easier upgrade. http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html

That electric kit does look simple. I wonder how it compares to stock P/S. I saw a comment here on the brick yard forum about it being even easier that stock P/S:
I have driven both and yes all my RHD buses have factory PAS ! But...............

The Electric Power Steering is much lighter for parking/slow maneuvers.

I might very well look into that. Seems cheaper and must less of a hassle that finding all of the parts. I did finally find a post on someone converting from Manual to P/S (not sure why my searches never pulled this one up, I got it after googling :-/ ":
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5187128

hans j Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 am

PDXSyncro wrote:

I might very well look into that. Seems cheaper and must less of a hassle that finding all of the parts.

Let me know if you get one, I'd be interested in trying it out too and hopefully save some on shipping. I'm a little concerned about the speed sensitivity being related to engine RPM rather than actual vehicle speed though!

PDXSyncro Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 am

hans j wrote: I'm a little concerned about the speed sensitivity being related to engine RPM rather than actual vehicle speed though!

It seems that there is a torque sensor that allows you to dial-in the amount of steering effort.

Also looking at the Aussie site there seems to be a "Sensitive Speed Upgrade" that plugs into the EPAS-1 or EPAS-2 kit. An upgraded loom with a wheel speed sensor to manage torque based on speed:
http://www.ultimatepowersteering.com.au/electric-power-assisted-steering-epas-1/

Also the UK site says "This is a road speed sensitive, electric power steering system for your Volkswagen Transporter". So I'm wondering if it's sold with the speed sensitive upgrade???

Anyway I'll give these guys a buzz during the week and post back info I get and any delivery options.

Cheers,
Glen