TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: EJ22 OBD2 carbon canister hook up ?
ALIKA T3 Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 am

Aloha all!

I'm doing a Subaru conversion in a Syncro for an acquaintance.

I'm using a EJ22 engine from a 1999 Outback.

I cannot find how to hook up the Subaru carbon canister to this engine because the lines are not set up physically the same way as on my OBD1 1992 EJ22 :?
Also, I don't have it and I would like to use the earlier model canister, like the one in this thread I quoted below.

When I did my conversion on the 2WD, I didn't install the jumper like on this diagram, but I connected these 2 hoses directly to the canister, like in the Subaru car. I mounted the canister by the license plate door and was done with it : easy breezy: clean, fast, simple.

On the other hand, on this OBD2 engine, I only have one line not connected by the power steering fluid reservoir :? How do I connect this thing then to the Syncro gas tank and carbon canister? I don not want to use the Syncro canister but the Subaru canister. Older model like OBD1 OK?
Do I have to connect the syncro gas tank hose that sits in the engine bay at 2 o'clock to the big inlet of the canister and the small inlet of the canister to the nipple that's by the PS reservoir? But then I have a 3rd line on the engine by the Syncro coolant tank that goes nowhere? I know it must be simple but I cannot figure it out :roll:

Can somebody help me on that?

Thank you so much!! 8)

ChesterKV wrote: Update # 33 - 08 January, 2008

Hey Dudes,

There are two options for filtering gas fumes; the first option is to keep the VW Vanagon/Transporter charcoal filter. The second option is to use the Subaru charcoal filter. I chose the Subaru filter because it's a MUCH cleaner installation, it's stock to the engine, AND I had thrown away some of my VW tubes and check valve by accident. Whoops.

VW (left) vs. Subaru

Here's a diagram of the basic connection.

This is what I chose to avoid.

In my case, since I eliminated most of the rigid fuel lines and the rigid gas vapor line, I won't be attaching the hose leaving the Subaru charcoal filter to the cluster of three rigid fuel lines as seen to the right of the diagram.

I'll be attaching the Subaru hose directly to the Purge Sontrol Solenoid
Valve also known as the Air Control Solenoid Valve. Here it's shown removed from underneath the intake manifold for clarity

The No.9 seen on the diagram is exactly where the hose will attach (the two plastic attachment points are part of the same line).

An ancient photo (Summer of '07...good memories) of the Air Control Solenoid Valve. View is looking from front of van towards rear. The one visible hose runs from the throttle body and connects adjacent to the Subaru charcoal filter hose (missing in photo)

It's all so simple:

Stock VW charcoal mounting bracket at left -

New larger stainless steel clamp as the Subaru canister is wider -

The Subaru canister at right -

Slip the stainless steel clamp through here.

Ready to mount using stock VW mounting location and bolts.

There are only two connection points and they are clearly marked.

The Purge/Air Control Valve hose leaves the canister and makes a straight run for the Purge/Air Control Valve located underneath the intake manifold. It's up to you how you want to route the hose. I routed it through the backside of the firewall above the throttle cable, the two fuel lines and it enters the engine bay next to the "little black electrical box" at the left driver-side corner and makes a clean and short run to the Control Valve.

Connecting the VW plastic fuel line (right connection) involved heating the hose with a heat gun and pushing it onto the Subaru nipple (which is a bit larger). This method works great and forms a tight connection. You could find an adapter and move up to the slightly larger Subaru fuel hose....your call.

Old view.

A Brave New World.

jordauto Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 pm

One quick thought would be that you should extend the vent tube at the bottom of the canister. the best would be to run it up to the the air cleaner so no dust and debris can be drawn into, and plug the canister.

kalispell365 Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm

The canister is in the rear of that later vintage Subaru,so you can plumb the early Subaru canister to the metal line that's below the fuel intake/return on your obd2 manifold...The only differenct is there is no need for the small loop of hose where the canister mounted up front in the earlier Legacy.If you need more help,PM me.
Also,dont bother with that old vanagon canister,those are not nearly as simple as using the Subaru obd1 canister with the vanagon metal mounting bracket and clamp.Much cleaner install.

ALIKA T3 Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 am

kalispell365 wrote: The canister is in the rear of that later vintage Subaru,so you can plumb the early Subaru canister to the metal line that's below the fuel intake/return on your obd2 manifold...The only differenct is there is no need for the small loop of hose where the canister mounted up front in the earlier Legacy.If you need more help,PM me.
Also,dont bother with that old vanagon canister,those are not nearly as simple as using the Subaru obd1 canister with the vanagon metal mounting bracket and clamp.Much cleaner install.

Hi Kalispell365!

thank you for your input,and thank you too Jordauto.

We can keep talking here if you don't mind to help out the community and database ;-)

I don't have the car anymore, so I was thinking buying the canister from an OBD1: is that ok?

If it is OK, then:

Do I connect the line (where the loop is not necessary since we have an OBD2) to the "purge" nipple on the canister and the old syncro hose that sticks out of the firewall by the coolant bottle to the "fuel tank" nipple on the Subaru canister? correct?

Thank you again 8)

Aloha!

Alika

kalispell365 Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:23 am

Alika,
Im so sorry, Im not familiar with the Syncro fuel vent location,but here goes.
Run the fuel vent line from the fuel tank to the "fuel tank" nipple on the canister.
run the "purge" line to the intake steel line from the canister.

Keep in mind, there were different obd2 manifolds and this will only work correctly if you have a CANISTER PURGE CONTROL VALVE under the manifold which the steel line goes to. This valve will control when the vapors are pulled into the intake by the ecu using vehicle speed(you will need some type of VSS for this system to truly work even if it is hooked up), engine coolant temperature, and rpm.

Also, pertaining to the canister bottom vent hose...there is a hole conveniently in the van frame which the hose goes nicely into, just like it did on the Legacy!

Some later Subaru canister setups have the solenoid in the rear of the car behind the canister and Im not sure how you would remedy this without looking at it myself.

I wasn't trying to not share all this with the collective in any way, I am concerned that I may have only added confusion is all! :shock:

kalispell365 Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 am

After I thought about it, if you have the intake that does not have the CPC solenoid then you could do the following:

Get the CPC solenoid from the same early Legacy.It is under the passenger side of the manifold on the legacy.Part number 14774AA351. Also remove the connector pigtail from the donor Legacy. Then, bolt the CPC solenoid into the Vanagon engine compartment after the canister and before the intake, hooking up the wiring for the solenoid to the later Subaru OBD2 harness.

Clear as mud?

BTW, excellent photos of the canister install!

ALIKA T3 Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 am

Hello and thank you again for your help 8)

I will work on the engine tomorrow, I will have to look at the manifold and take pictures, because I would still end up with an open steel line located on the passenger side of the Syncro.

Clear as mud? hahaha! Yes,very well unfortunately. I gotta see what I have there and what I can do at this point because adding a solenoid and modifying the harness is beyond what I wanna/ can do. I need a simple solution but need to provide clear info of what I have at this point.

Have a good day! :D

tim_ha Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:44 am

I thought that I would resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one for my question.

I am currently doing a fuel tank reseal and found that the charcoal in my canister is able to escape out the vent port. I have rerouted the vent to the air intake on my syncro and don't really want to have charcoal being sucked in to the engine.

I am thinking about pulling a subaru canister from a junk yard because it'll be cheaper and easier than sourcing the vw one. My question is...

Is there any reason that I should not relocate the canister to the engine bay? The routing of hoses would be much cleaner and shorter if I moved it from the drivers side wheel well.

Thanks!

ALIKA T3 Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 am

Hello!
That's what I did on my Obd1 engine: it is in the engine bay close to the steel lines.
I couldn't do that on the syncro with obd2, we ended up keeping the syncro hose routing but I believe you could relocate it too, why not? :)

tim_ha Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:40 am

Awesome, thanks. I guess that I wasn't sure if the canister being in the hot engine bay would affect its functionality.

I have OBD2 with the purge control solenoid, so I will hook it up exactly as you show.

By the way, great writeup and pictures.